Sports, Spring, Lacrosse

Second-Half Surge Sends Eagles to Victory Over Virginia

With just over one minute left to play in the first quarter of Boston College lacrosse’s matchup with Virginia on Wednesday, the Eagles were in a position they hadn’t been in all season—down by two goals.

Despite facing its largest deficit of the season, and heading into halftime without a lead for the first time since April 30, 2021, No. 1 BC (4–0, 1–0 Atlantic Coast) defeated No. 13 Virginia 22–15.

After BC got out to an early 3–0 lead in the game’s first six minutes, the Cavaliers (2–3, 0–1) climbed back with two goals apiece from Rachel Clark and Courtlynne Caskin to put Virginia on top, 4–3. 

The teams went back and forth for the rest of the first quarter and through the second, responding to every goal and oscillating between a tie and a Virginia lead. 

After heading into the second half down by one, Caitlynn Mossman tied the game at 10–10 two minutes into the third quarter. From there, the Eagles took off, and BC never trailed for the rest of the game. 

A third-quarter run fueled BC’s late drive to victory, as the Eagles outscored Virginia 6–1 in the third. Charlotte North and Mossman each scored two goals during the stretch.

Mossman scored the game winner in the seventh minute of the third quarter to put the Eagles up 12–11. BC never lost its lead from there.

North finished the night with six goals, while Mossman netted a season-high five goals. North recently set the ACC scoring record in BC’s matchup against Boston University on Feb. 19. All six of her goals on Wednesday were unassisted. 

Four Eagles scored at least three goals on Wednesday, as both Jenn Medjid and Kayla Martello each scored four goals. 

With nine goals on the season, Martello recorded her second hat trick of the season on Wednesday. Her first came against UMass on Feb. 16. She has already surpassed her goal total from last season, during which she scored six goals in 15 games. Two of her goals on Wednesday came in the fourth quarter.

Wednesday’s win marked BC’s first ACC contest of the season. Six of Inside Lacrosse’s top 25 teams hail from the ACC, including three in the top five—BC, No. 2 North Carolina, and No. 3 Syracuse. 

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / Heights Senior Staff