University Revamps On-Campus Marathon Monday Events

Boston College’s annual Marathon Monday tradition will look different this year, with several unique events transforming the beloved BC tradition.

“It’s something we’ve been talking about for a while in terms of how we can help students to celebrate this tradition in a safe and fun way that brings out the best in the BC community,” Tom Mogan, associate vice president for student engagement and formation, said.

This upcoming Marathon Monday on April 18 will feature a series of on-campus events running from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., including a performance from Jason Derulo, a breakfast bingo, food trucks, and various giveaways.

This marks the second Marathon Monday of the academic year, following the delayed celebration of the 2021 Boston Marathon in October. Mogan said the University began considering new on-campus events after students crowded in off-campus streets and yards, eliciting complaints during the October marathon.

“Boston Police received a significant amount of complaints from the neighbors about … thousands of students that gathered in the streets where they were blocking the roads, and also we received reports about behavior that was disruptive to the community,” he said.

According to Mogan, the Boston Police Department will likely have a lower tolerance for disruptive behavior during this semester’s marathon given the complaints from the fall.

Mogan said he and Shawna Cooper-Gibson, BC’s vice president for student affairs, held multiple dinners with student groups throughout the year to discuss alternatives to celebrating the marathon off campus.

“Students were pretty clear and said that they would love to see some sort of high-level entertainment on campus,” Mogan said.

Mogan said the University then began planning new events with students’ feedback.

The programming is a product of collaborative efforts among the Division of Student Affairs, the Office of Student Involvement, UGBC, Campus Activities Board (CAB), BC Dining, and other partners including Campus Ministry and BC Athletics.

Jack Bracher, UGBC president and MCAS ’22, said it is encouraging how student voices influenced the new programming

“The fact that it’s coming from multiple different groups and departments on campus, both administrative level and student level is really exciting,” Bracher said. “And I think that is reflective of the investment that the University wants to make in creating a positive legacy around Marathon Monday.”

Bracher said he noticed students’ excitement surrounding Marathon Monday in the fall and that BC hopes to effectively channel this energy through the new programming.

“Working with the administration and working with student government, we’ve been trying to effectively channel that energy, and I think the way that we’re going to do it is by creating that on-campus environment that’s welcoming to students and engaging at the same time,” Bracher said.

To kick off the celebration, there will be a breakfast bingo on Maloney Lawn starting at 8 a.m. with free breakfast from BC Dining, a DJ, BC Mile 21 shirts, and unique prizes, Mogan said. Jason Derulo will then perform in the Mod Lot at 10 a.m.

“Jason Derulo is coming with a full production, so it’s not just going to be a concert—it’s going to be a show,” Mogan said. “He’s bringing some backup dancers, and we’re hoping for a little bit of a surprise.”

Derulo’s performance will be free and open to all BC students, which Resham Jariwala, president of CAB and CSOM ’22, said will likely encourage students to attend the concert.

“Thinking from the student perspective, I think it’s something to enhance Marathon Monday rather than take away by having students pay for the event,” Jariwala said. “So by making it free, they’re getting rid of any social or financial barriers that people might have.”

According to Mogan, the University decided to hold an early concert to incentivize students to stay on campus, providing a unique opportunity to celebrate campus life and the marathon.

Following the concert, students will be encouraged to gather at the Mile 21 cheering section on the lawn of St. Ignatius church, where Bracher said UGBC will give out noisemakers and merchandise including bucket hats and fanny packs to students.

“I think [the concert is going to be] a great venue for students to take to channel their energy into the day and then hopefully, channeling that energy into the marathon itself, having a strong turnout for runners and really representing the Boston community well,” Bracher said.

There will also be a Mile 21 Field Day on Maloney Lawn with a DJ, lawn games, and food trucks from 12 to 2 p.m.

Bracher said he wishes the University and student organizations held programming like this year’s events when he was an underclassman.

“I think the underclassmen specifically are really going to enjoy the events,” Bracher said. “And I think it’s going to create a lot of energy on campus.”

Images by Fallon Jones / For the Heights