University Extends Walk-In COVID-19 Testing

Boston College extended its walk-in asymptomatic COVID-19 testing through May 17, according to an email sent to the BC community on Wednesday.

Walk-in PCR testing was initially set to end after March 31, but students, faculty, and staff will now be able to receive weekly tests in the Margot Connell Recreation Center until the end of the academic year.

The University ended its asymptomatic surveillance testing program for fully vaccinated individuals on Feb. 21, citing the lack of serious illness or hospitalizations in the community due to COVID-19 and a push to move the University toward “near normal” status.

The email also reminded BC community members that they should no longer report to the Connell Recreation Center for testing if they exhibit COVID-19 symptoms.

“Students [with symptoms] should contact UHS, and faculty and staff should contact their primary care provider,” the email reads.

The University lifted its temporary mask mandate on Jan. 31, and the City of Newton rescinded its mask mandate for public spaces on Feb. 18. The City of Boston also lifted its mask mandate on March 5. 

The University no longer reports its testing numbers, moving its data on the number of COVID-19 cases per week through Feb. 13 to an archive tab on the BC Forward website

Featured Image by Lenya Singer / For the Heights