Sports, Spring, Lacrosse

Eagles Overcome Slow Start to Down Dartmouth

Boston College, known for a high-flying offense led by 2021 Tewaaraton Award winner Charlotte North, has trailed in seven of its 11 games this season, but most of the time, BC was never behind by more than one goal. Of those seven games, the Eagles have overcome an early deficit to win six, with the lone exception being a 16–15 loss to then-No. 2 North Carolina. 

The same pattern held true for the No. 2 Eagles on Wednesday, as Dartmouth jumped out to an early 2–1 lead before BC (10–1, 3–1 Atlantic Coast) surged back to win 16–5 over the Big Green (2–6, 0–2 Ivy League). 

BC never trailed by more than one goal against Dartmouth, but its offense took a while to get hot, trailing 2–1 after the first quarter.

Rachel Hall’s effort in net made up for her offense’s slow start. The senior registered five saves on 10 shots on goal. With her fourth save of the day, Hall surpassed the 500-save mark, making her one of seven active players in the nation and one of three in the ACC with 500 for their career. 

Caitlynn Mossman led the Eagles with a career-high seven points on four goals and three assists. Belle Smith and Jenn Medjid each added three goals as well. North recorded three assists in addition to one goal, tied for her lowest single-game total of the season. 

Hollie Schleicher opened the scoring for the Eagles six minutes into the first quarter, but Dartmouth answered her with two straight goals from Jev Ward and Katie Elders to take an early 2–1 lead. 

BC has fallen into a pattern in its three most recent games: The Eagles’ offense takes time to warm up, falling into an early deficit before surging back into the game. Against Pittsburgh, BC trailed by as many as four before coming back to win the game late. 

Against Dartmouth, it didn’t take BC quite as long to get its offensive engine going. Mossman scored two straight goals in the second quarter to give the Eagles back their lead, and they held it through the remainder of the game. 

North’s uncharacteristically quiet game—she led the NCAA entering Tuesday’s matchup with 4.9 goals per game—was not for a lack of trying, as the graduate student recorded seven shots, including three on goal. But Big Green goaltender Gisele Todd made 12 saves to keep North quiet and to keep her team in the game as one of the nation’s top offenses peppered her with shots. 

Featured Image by Nicole Wei / Heights Staff