Sports, Basketball, Women's Basketball

Marnelle Garraud Enters Transfer Portal

Boston College women’s basketball guard Marnelle Garraud entered the transfer portal Tuesday with one remaining year of eligibility, according to an announcement on her Instagram page. 

Garraud played four years at BC, making 102 starts in 114 games for the Eagles. She recorded 944 points over her four years on the Heights, averaging 8.3 points per game. 

Her announcement comes five days after teammate Makayla Dickens announced her entrance into the portal. The announcement also comes five days after BC’s postseason run came to a close with a 54–51 loss to Columbia in the Sweet 16 of the National Invitation Tournament. 

In her senior season, Garraud helped lead the Eagles to their first NIT appearance since 2011. She ranked fifth on the team in the 2021–22 season in total points scored with 251 and finished third in 3-pointers with 51. As a senior, she led the team in steals with 52 and assists with 123—40 more than the runner-up, Dickens. 

As a junior, Garraud also led the team in steals and assists, with 39 and 58 respectively, and she led the ACC in steals per game. She ranked fourth on the team in scoring during the 2020–21 season and shot a perfect 16-of-16 from the free-throw line. She was named to the All-ACC Academic Team and the All-ACC Defensive Team that season. 

During her sophomore campaign, Garraud led the team in total minutes played with 985, averaging a team-high 30.8 minutes per game in 28 starts and 32 appearances. 

Garraud started 22 games her freshman year, more than any other freshman in the program. She led the team in steals in her first two years as well, with 49 her freshman year and 62 her sophomore year. She was named to the All-ACC Academic Team her freshman year. 

Garraud, who grew up in Lynn, Mass., played for two years at St. Mary’s High School before completing her junior and senior seasons at the Noble and Greenough School in Dedham, Mass. There, Garraud helped the Bulldogs to an Independent School League championship in the 2016–17 season and surpassed the 1,000-point mark in her junior year. 

Featured Image by Leo Wang / Heights Staff