Sports

BC Athletics Announces Health Care Partnership With Mass General Brigham

Mass General Brigham will serve as the exclusive health care provider of Boston College Athletics, as announced by Mass General Brigham and BC on March 31.

“This partnership between Mass General Brigham and Boston College will benefit BC Athletics across all sports,” Athletics Director Pat Kraft said in a release.  “We look forward to this relationship and the positive effect it will have for our student-athletes, coaches and trainers.”  

Through the partnership, Mass General Brigham will provide medical support for BC’s men’s and women’s varsity and club athletic teams. According to the release, Mass General’s clinicians will work with student-athletes year round on training, injury prevention, treatment, and gameday medical coverage. 

Robert Nascimento, BC’s head team physician and medical director, and Tim Foster, chief of orthopedics and sports medicine at Newton-Wellesley Hospital, will lead the program. 

“We are grateful for the opportunity to partner with Mass General Brigham, and to provide the best possible healthcare for our student-athletes,” David Trainor, BC’s vice president for human resources, said in the release. “This partnership brings together two respected Boston institutions with long histories of service for the benefit of BC Athletics.”

Mass General Brigham Sports Medicine has worked with a number of Boston-area sports programs, including the Boston Bruins, New England Patriots, New England Revolution, and other NCAA and high school athletic programs in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. 

“This partnership showcases the diverse clinical portfolio Mass General Brigham Sports Medicine can provide that is truly unmatched,” R. Scott Gassett, vice president of Mass General Brigham Sports Medicine, said in the release. “We are proud to partner with Boston College, which is positioned to compete at the highest levels, and to help their student-athletes reach their fullest potential.”

Featured Image by Leo Wang / Heights Staff