Metro, Politics, Newton

NPS Superintendent Will Step Down at the End of the School Year

Newton Public Schools (NPS) Superintendent David Fleishman announced on April 7 that he will step down from his position at the end of the school year.

“Newton has shown perseverance and resilience through tough times, and I am confident that the future is bright for this special district,” Fleishman wrote in the announcement. “It has been the privilege of a lifetime to work on behalf of our students, staff, and families and I am truly grateful for the experience.”

After serving as the NPS superintendent for 12 years, Fleishman will become the president and chief executive officer of Jewish Vocational Service Boston, one of the largest providers of adult education in New England, the statement reads.

Fleishman also acknowledged challenges NPS has faced in the past few weeks. The district approved a budget that includes 17.7 full-time equivalent (FTE) position cuts Tuesday night. In weeks prior, NPS teachers, parents, and students rallied against the cuts, and Newton Mayor Ruthanne Fuller recently announced the allocation of $1.51 million in funding from the American Rescue Plan Act to NPS.

“While the last few weeks have indeed been challenging, I am very pleased with the mayor’s announcement last night that additional funding will now be available for our schools,” Fleishman wrote. “This added funding will help to preserve many of the outstanding initiatives and supports we have created in recent years.”

The Newton Teachers Association (NTA) has not responded to The Heights’ request for comment, though Mike Zilles, NTA president, mentioned Fleishman’s announcement in a blog post on the NTA’s website.

“This news comes rather as a shock so late in the school year,” Zilles wrote. “But I certainly wish him well–and I hope a lot less stress–in his new position.”

Fleishman wrote that he will leave behind a team that will help ease the transition and that the Newton School Committee will soon begin its selection for his successor.

“I also feel privileged to have hired a majority of our principals, who continue to lead their communities with thoughtfulness, care, and compassion during stressful and challenging times.” Fleishman said.

Fuller expressed her goodwill to Fleishman in her April 7 newsletter  update.

“Good luck David,” Fuller wrote. “And thank you for giving our students, families, caregivers, educators, and staff your all for twelve years.”