Sports, Top Story, Women's Soccer

Jason Lowe Fired After Five Seasons With BC Women’s Soccer

Boston College has fired women’s soccer head coach Jason Lowe after five seasons leading the program, Athletics Director Blake James announced on Tuesday.

“I would like to thank Jason Lowe for his five years here at Boston College and wish him the best going forward,” James said. 

The announcement of Lowe’s termination comes just five days after the Eagles’ 2023 season ended. Despite tying No. 3 North Carolina 1–1 in its final matchup, BC posted a 3–9–6 overall record and a 0–6–4 conference record. 

A national search to find the next head coach of the program will begin immediately, according to BC Athletics’ release

In his five seasons as head coach, Lowe recorded a total record of 30–45–15 and a conference record of 4–37–7. The Eagles did not win more than one conference game in any season throughout his tenure, and they had just one season with an overall record at or above .500, which came in 2019 with an 8–8–2 finish. 

Prior to his tenure on the Heights, Lowe served as an assistant coach at Wake Forest from 2014–2016 and an associate head coach from 2017–2018. On Jan. 9, 2019, BC hired Lowe after former head coach Alison Foley, the winningest coach in program history, resigned

Foley led the Eagles to a 14–5–1 record and an NCAA Tournament appearance the year before Lowe took over the program. At that time, then-Athletics Director Martin Jarmond said he was thrilled to have Lowe join the BC Athletics family. Jarmond cited Lowe’s ability to recruit in the Atlantic Coast Conference at a high level. 

But, just five seasons after Lowe said he was eager to start building a culture and a brand of soccer that BC players, fans, and alumni would take pride in and enjoy, he now leaves the program with little success to boast about. 

Lowe spent five seasons as an assistant coach for Alabama before joining Wake Forest’s staff, and his ability to develop the backline, defenders and goaltenders included, is noted as a specialty of his, according to his online biographies for the programs. But these apparent talents did not translate to his career in Chestnut Hill.

In the 2023 season, BC ranked last in goals allowed per game with 1.67 and second to last in total goals allowed with 30.