Arts

Grammy’s Best And Brightest

Arcade Fire Rocks the Grammys: Performing their least-television friendly song, the Canadian-bred band members tore their way through an edgily wonderful “Month of May.” Moments later, Win Butler accepted the Album of the Year Grammy for The Suburbs, the first time in years that the award has truly gone to the best album of the year. “We’re gonna play another song!” he declared, as the band took their instruments once again and performed “Ready to Start.” The band has since won a Brit (the English equivalent of a Grammy), announced several more festival appearances across the world, and poked fun at the mildly ridiculous “Who is Arcade Fire?” blog that popped up after their win.

Janelle Monae Steals the Show: While audiences were busy watching Bruno Mars and B.o.B. perform “Nothin’ On You” and a delightful rendition of “Just the Way You Are,” a tiny powerhouse was preparing herself to take the stage and the show by storm. Her choice of “Cold War” was inspired. It allowed her to show off the vulnerability of her impressive pipes. Her dancing was as infectious as the smile on her face. Today, it was announced that she would co-headline a tour with Mars, “The Doo-Wops and Hooligans Tour,” set to touch down in Boston’s Agganis Arena on May 6. Buy tickets now and impress your friends, because it’s only a matter of time before she racks up Grammys of her own.

Mumford & Sons Overshadow Bob Dylan: Most Americans watching the Grammys on Sunday probably had never heard of the British folk band before. The four immensely talented members were up for the Best New Artist award (losing to the bouncy haired Esperanza Spalding), and also had the honor of performing with The Avett Brothers and Bob Dylan himself. The band’s buoyant and ebullient rendition of “The Cave” completely upstaged the gravelly voiced Dylan. Mumford & Sons have come so far in the past year, and show only signs of growing.

Skylar Grey: Mysterious and shadowy, Grey emerged during Eminem and Dr. Dre’s woozy performance of “I Need a Doctor.” Not much is known about the smoky-voiced singer. She is a songwriter who has lent her talents to tracks like “Love the Way You Lie Pt. 2,” Rihanna’s sequel to the summer anthem. She lent her sultry vocals to the Diddy Dirty Money track “Coming Home” and was a delightful surprise on “Doctor” when it was released a few weeks ago. Intriguingly, her face was never shown once on the Grammys, as the technicians instead bathed her in darkness. It only made fans more ravenous to know more about her.

Rihanna and Drake Inject the Grammys with Youth: After Barbra Streisand’s long winded and stuffy performance of the schmaltzy “Evergreen,” the pace of the awards show began to slow considerably. Her standing ovation seemed purely out of respect for her past than reverence for her present. When Rihanna took the stage once again, this time in a revealingly frilly frock accompanying “What’s My Name?” The playful manner in which Rihanna and Drake interacted bordered on inappropriately sexual at times, but their flirtations with literal fire made it all the more excellent.