Sub Turri’ Celebrates 100th Anniversary

Sub Turri, one of the oldest organizations on Boston College’s campus, will celebrate its 100th anniversary this year. As part of that celebration, student leaders of the yearbook have stated their hope that 100 percent of BC seniors will have their senior portraits taken in honor of the 100th edition.

Rachel Gregorio, Senior Editor-in-Chief of Sub Turri and A&S ’12, spoke about the yearbook’s goal.

“So far, we’re only up to 35 percent of seniors photographed for this year, so it’s a lofty goal, but we want to make sure seniors know about the opportunity,” Gregorio said. “Photographers will be here for the next two weeks, until Jan. 27, from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and it’s free for any seniors to participate.”

On a typical year, Gregorio said that the yearbook gets between 60 and 70 percent of seniors photographed.

Though the yearbook has done the same marketing and notification system this year as in the past, Gregorio stated that part of the reason this year’s participation has been lacking may be due to the construction on Stokes Hall, which potentially decreases the amount of time seniors spend around McElroy Hall, where the yearbook office is located.

“Getting your senior portrait taken is really important,” Gregorio said. “You don’t want to be the person who’s not pictured, you want to be in there with your classmates and be able to look back on the publication years from now. It makes a nice compilation of our four years here.”

Sub Turri’s first edition was printed in 1913, and the yearbook has been printed annually by a staff of editors in the years since. Currently, the yearbook staff is comprised of around 40 editors, who begin work in September to meet deadlines in November, December, and February. The entire book is finished by March of each year to be ready for printing, and is available for preorder until the end of January.

Because of its long existence, the yearbook has chronicled student and academic life at BC for well over half of its history, and acts as one of the premier record keepers of BC’s history.

Beyond senior portraits, the yearbook includes sections regarding current events around the nation and around BC, student life, events like Homecoming and Arts Fest, academics, club and varsity sports, and a large variety of student clubs and organizations.

As a second part of their celebration of 100 years of publication, Sub Turri will be inviting each of the past 50 editors-in-chief to an alumni banquet in April.

The yearbooks, which will be 504 pages long, must be preordered for $120 and will be available for pickup in May.