University Maintains Rankings

Boston College has maintained its place in the 2014 U.S. News and World Report college rankings.

The 2012-13 round of applications saw about 10,000 fewer students apply, a trend largely attributed to the addition of a supplemental essay to the application process for the Class of 2017. Of the 24,538 applicants, 7,905 were accepted, producing an acceptance rate of 32 percent-three percentage points higher than the previous year. Significantly, the University’s yield also went up by three percentage points: 28 percent of accepted students committed to BC, as opposed to 25 percent the year before.
Early action students also had an increased yield this year-32 percent, versus 30 percent for the Class of 2016.

The Class of 2017 consists of 2,215 students, with SAT scores for the middle 50 percent ranging between 1960 and 2150.
BC has been ranked 31st in the “Best Colleges” section since 2010, and the 2014 report upheld that position. Furthermore, this year BC was ranked 36th, an improvement over last year’s 39th, in the “Great Schools, Great Prices” category-a section which takes into account the school’s quality as well as the percentage of students who receive need-based financial aid. For BC, 38.8 percent receive need-based grants, and the average cost after subtracting need-based aid is $28,004.

The Carroll School of Management also rose two spots in the “The Best in Undergraduate Business Schools” section, ranking 22nd.

“Boston College’s continued high ranking is a source of pride for all of us, and confirms what our students and their families already know: BC is a great place to be educated,” said Interim Provost and Dean of Faculties Joseph Quinn in a statement to the Office of News and Public Affairs. “We are especially glad that our commitment to-and increased funding for-financial aid has been acknowledged.”