Sports

ROUNDUP: Baseball, Softball, Women’s Hockey, And Others Play Over Break.

Baseball:

The baseball team started off last week on the right note with a 7-6 win in extra innings over Villanova. The win was Boston College’s sixth of the season. From there, however, things went downhill for the Eagles as they faced a string of tough opponents.
A loss to Western Michigan came first, then two straight losses to Florida Atlantic, one of which went to extra innings. Then, in the final series of the week against the University of Miami-which is currently ranked 22nd in the country-the Eagles dropped another three straight, 6-2, 5-2, and 4-3. The bumpy stretch brought the Eagles to 6-9 on the season.
Softball:

The softball team played 11 games over the course of eight days from Saturday, March 1 to Sunday, March 8.
While the Eagles started off their busy stretch on the wrong note with a loss to Georgia Tech on the first, they quickly turned it around and won the last two games of the series against the Yellow Jackets.

After a loss to Florida, BC then won its next five games, which were played at the University of South Florida Tournament over St. Johns, Southern Illinois, Villanova, Cleveland State, and Northwestern. The win streak brought the Eagles to 14-7 on the season.

Women’s Hockey:

The women’s hockey team participated in the Hockey East Tournament last week. While the regular-season champions cruised through the opening round with a dominant 8-0 win over the University of New Hampshire and were successful in the second round with a 3-1 victory against the Vermont Catamounts, they could not pull off the tournament win. BC met rival Boston University in the final on Sunday in Hyannis, Mass., and though the Eagles had topped the Terriers four times during the regular season, they could not pull off another win, falling in the final by a score of 3-2 after BU goalie Kerrin Sperry put up an enormous performance of 40 saves.

Tennis:

The women’s tennis team played two matches over break, one at Florida State University in which the Eagles fell to the Seminoles 6-1, with Lexi Borr earning the Eagles’ only win in the No. 3 singles spot when her opponent retired from the match, and another at Florida International University in Miami where BC came out on top by a score of 5-2. In the win, five different Eagles posted at least one win.

The men’s side also had its fair share of action over break with a match at UC Irvine. The Eagles failed to snap their two-game losing streak and fell 6-1 with the doubles team of Jonathan Raude and Alexandre Thirouin earning the only scored win.

Skiing:

The men’s and women’s ski teams finished off their regular seasons at the Middlebury Carnival. In the women’s giant slalom, Michelle Solomon and Kristie Ryan finished back to back in 37th and 38th place, respectively, while Paige Kozlowski and Katie Cutting also competed in the race. In the men’s GS, Chase Ryan led the Eagles with a 14th place overall finish. He was followed by Keith Schuman in 23rd and Trevor Lennox in 44th. Chris Keating and Ryan Barney did not finish their second runs. In the women’s slalom, Cutting finished in 25th and Ryan finished 44th. For the men, Ryan led the way yet again with a ninth place finish-his season best. Schuman finished in 31st.