Opinions, Editorials

Fair Offers Useful Insight Into BC Sustainability

The Sustainability Fair successfully showcased the efforts of BC clubs, organizations, and students

The Office of Sustainability organized a Sustainability Fair in McElroy yesterday that showcased approximately 15 different clubs and organizations. Originally scheduled to take place outdoors, it was forced inside by the weather, but still managed to attract strong attendance from students. There were representatives from BC Fossil Free, Real Food BC, the environmental studies department, Boston College Dining, ResLife, and many other organizations. The groups showcased their initiatives, and some environmental studies majors displayed their senior projects.

With the recent launch of the environmental studies major, this was a timely opportunity for students to learn more about the sustainability efforts that go on at BC. Much of the University’s work in these areas tends to go unseen. That is not to say that there is not more that BC can be doing-events like this fair serve well to inform students of ways in which they can learn what the University currently does in relation to sustainability and suggest ways to improve.

The editorial board of The Heights is composed of a group of elected Heights editors. They are responsible for discussing and writing editorials, which represent the opinion of the newspaper.