Students Cycle To Fundraise For Cancer Research

On Wednesday, April 30, more than 460 Boston College student athletes gathered in the Flynn Recreation Complex to participate in the second annual Cycle for Survival at BC in memory of Lisa Gallup, BC ’09, daughter of Director for Football Operations Barry Gallup, BC ’69, who died at the age of 26. The event generated over $10,000 in fundraising for cancer research.

A graduate of the Connell School of Nursing, Lisa Gallup went on to earn a master’s degree from New York University shortly after finishing her undergraduate studies, and later pursued a career in nursing as an oncology nurse at New York Presbyterian Hospital.

In the fall of 2011-a mere two years after graduating from BC-Lisa was diagnosed with cancer. After enduring a year of chemotherapy and radiation treatment, all while working full-time at her night nurse position in the medical ICU of New York Presbyterian. It wasn’t until her time in New York that she began to take a greater interest in an organization called Cycle for Survival, which lasted until her passing in December 2012.

Founded in 2007, the Cycle for Survival promotes indoor team-racing events that raise funds for cancer research, 100 percent of which are donated directly to the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, the world’s first and largest cancer research center, within six months of the event.

Yesterday, for the second time, students have filled the Plex in honor of Lisa and all those affected by cancer within the BC community.

“It really means a lot to me,” Gallup said in a statement to BC Athletics. “It’s a very draining day, but to see all the teams participate … I’ll go over to the Plex and see somebody wearing one of the green T-shirts from last year. It was inspiring to see all the student-athletes gather around the cause.”