Top Story, Athletics

Ohio State’s Martin Jarmond to Become Next Athletic Director

The search is over: Martin Jarmond, the former deputy athletic director at Ohio State, will replace Brad Bates as Boston College’s next Director of Athletics.

Jarmond, 37, becomes the youngest AD in the Power Five after spending nine years at the helm of the Buckeyes’ football, baseball, and men’s basketball programs. He also becomes the first AD of color in BC’s history. Currently, the University doesn’t employ any minority head coaches.

“I knew it would take a special place to leave Ohio State,” Jarmond said in a press release. “It is clear to me that Boston College is that place.”

At OSU, Jarmond was in charge of football scheduling and serves on the College Football Playoff advisory committee. In his previous role as Associate Athletic Director for Development, he raised $120 million in a three-year span. Before his work with the Buckeyes, he set numerous fundraising records at Michigan State. As the Assistant Athletic Director for Development and Director of Regional Giving, Jarmond raised over $126 million during the $1.2 billion Campaign for MSU.

Earlier this year, Sports Business Daily Journal named Jarmond to its Forty Under 40 list honoring the best young sports business leaders in the country. The Fayetteville, N.C. native is considered to be OSU AD Gene Smith’s right hand man, and his success earned him looks at Syracuse and Mississippi State during recent AD openings.

In 2001, Jarmond graduated from the University of North Carolina-Wilmington, where he walked on the basketball team and ascended to captain. In 2000, Jarmond helped carry the Seahawks to their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance. He also has two Masters Degrees from Ohio University in Business Administration and Sports Administration.

Featured Image Courtesy of UNC Wilmington