Man Charged With Attempted Arson at St.Patrick Cathedral Allegedly BC Grad
News, Off Campus, Top Story

Marc Lamparello allegedly attempted to enter New York City’s St. Patrick Cathedral with cans of gasoline and several lighters, which led to his arrest Wednesday night. Lamparello, 37, graduated from Boston College in 2004, according to The New York Times.

Senior Associate Director of University Communications Ed Hayward confirmed to The Boston Herald that someone with that name graduated in 2004.

The New York City Police Department has charged Lamparello with attempted arson, reckless endangerment, and trespassing, according to the Times.

The Times also reported that he was moved to Bellevue Hospital Center for a psychiatric evaluation on Thursday. Lamparello was also arrested for refusing to leave a church in Newark on Monday night and later charged with resisting arrest, defiant trespassing, and interfering with the administration of law, according to the Times.

He had also recently purchased a one-way plane ticket to Rome, which was set to depart Thursday, according to the Times.

The alleged act comes only days after a major fire broke out in Paris’ Notre Dame Cathedral and during a period of high traffic as churchgoers observe Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

John Miller, deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism for the NYPD, said that there does not appear to be a connection to any terrorist group.

Lamparello, who lives in Hasbrouck Heights, N.J., works as a part-time online instructor for Brooklyn College at the City University of New York, where he is also a Ph.D. candidate, according to the Times.

Featured Image Courtesy of the Associated Press