Sports, Basketball, Men's Basketball

Guard Jay Heath Enters Transfer Portal

Boston College guard Jay Heath has entered the transfer portal, joining fellow BC men’s basketball player Wynston Tabbs. Jeff Borzello first reported the news on Twitter just two days after BC announced the hiring of Earl Grant as the Eagles’ next head coach.

In just two years on the Heights, Heath cemented himself as a staple of the Eagles’ offense. In the abbreviated 2020-21 season, Heath averaged 14.5 points per game and 3.1 rebounds per game. He started every game for the Eagles this season. He finished shooting over 35 percent from 3-point range this season.

As a freshman during the 2019-20 season, Heath finished 26 games with double-digit scoring, including the final 15 games of the season. He was BC’s second-leading scorer, averaging 13.1 points per game. Heath started 30 of BC’s 31 games that season and set a BC program record for most 3-pointers by a freshman with 65. 

A three-star recruit out of Woodrow Wilson High School in Washington, D.C., Heath entertained offers from the likes of Georgetown, James Madison, and Kansas State. Scott Spinelli, who served as the interim head coach until Grant’s hiring, was Heath’s primary recruiter. 

The last three weeks have seen an exodus of talent from the BC program, including Rich Kelly entering the transfer portal and Steffon Mitchell declaring for the NBA Draft. Tabbs, Kelly, and Heath were the Eagles’ three top scorers this season, and Mitchell was BC’s top defender, leaving Grant with major holes in his lineup. 

Featured Image by Molly Bankert / Heights Staff