Years & Years Releases Dazzling “Starstruck” Music Video

★★★★☆

Years & Years’ new music video for its single “Starstruck” shows the true star quality of singer Olly Alexander. Years & Years used to be a trio consisting of Mikey Goldsworthy, Emre Türkmen, and Alexander, but in March the pop group split and became a solo project led by singer Alexander. This single is the first piece of music Alexander has released since the band’s split, and it is a clear indicator that he’s not going anywhere. 

In the music video for “Starstruck,” Alexander plays two twin roles (think Lindsay Lohan circa 1998 in The Parent Trap), with one twin obsessed with chasing after the other. To start, Alexander stares in the mirror at his reflection—but his image comes to life only for the chase between the two to begin. The music video shows Alexander, dressed in silk cloud-patterned button down pajamas and a navy robe, constantly running from his clone, a high energy, animated caricature of the lead singer. 

It’s a fun and engaging concept, and it shows how Alexander is self-aware of his own silliness. It’s also fitting for the video to only have Alexander in it considering Years & Years is now entirely his project. The video truly highlights his ability to keep an audience hooked on him and his performance. Closing out the video, Alexander delivers a funny and goofy performance, as he shifts into a solo dance routine where he’s seen performing the robot in conjunction with ballet dance moves. 

In terms of the actual technical element of doubling Alexander, it’s definitely not the most impressive example of this technique. There’s no interaction between the two characters and rarely are they put in the same shot together. This, however, gives Alexander an opportunity to show off his ability to create distinct characters between himself and the alternative Alexander. Though it is not the most exciting music video and the concept isn’t something new, it is still executed well. 

In Years & Years’ new music video Alexander proves that he can keep the fun synth-pop hits coming and his fans engaged by delivering a high energy performance.

Photo Courtesy of Polydor Records