Sports, Football

McDuffie Drafted 220th Overall by Green Bay Packers

After Hunter Long was drafted 81st overall in the 2021 NFL Draft on Friday night, Isaiah McDuffie became the second Eagle to come off the board as the Green Bay Packers selected him with the 220th overall pick on Saturday. 

McDuffie was the 19th linebacker and the second player from Boston College off the board in this year’s draft. 

“We are all excited for Isaiah as he was able to hear his name called by the Green Bay Packers in the draft,” BC head coach Jeff Hafley said in a statement.  “He was such a productive player in our defense and we look forward to watching him play on Sundays with the Packers.”

McDuffie totaled 107 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, and three sacks in his final season on the Heights, showing a return to the impressive form he demonstrated during his sophomore season before he was limited to just four games his junior season due to injury. 

He concludes his BC career with 233 total tackles, 15.5 tackles for loss, and 8.5 sacks. A three-star recruit out of Buffalo, N.Y., McDuffie initially committed to Syracuse in 2015 before flipping his commitment to BC. 

McDuffie joins fellow former BC player AJ Dillon in Green Bay, Wis. Dillon was drafted in the second round by Green Bay in last year’s draft and totaled nearly 250 yards on the ground in his first year in the league. 10 Eagles have been drafted by the Packers all time. 

McDuffie joins a Green Bay stable of linebackers that includes Krys Barnes, Za’Darius Smith, and Ty Summers. The Packers’ defense was fairly strong last year, ranking 12th in the NFL in yards allowed per play. 

The Packers had seven picks before selecting McDuffie, a group highlighted by first-round pick Eric Stokes, a cornerback from Georgia, Ohio State interior lineman Josh Myers, and Clemson wideout Amari Rodgers, who went in the third round.