News, Top Story

Cooper-Gibson Named VP for Student Affairs

Boston College’s new vice president for Student Affairs will be Shawna Cooper-Gibson, the vice president of student services at Seton Hall University, effective August 9, the University announced Monday. 

This comes after Joy Moore, who previously held the position, stepped down in October to care for her husband in his battle with brain cancer. She now serves as executive director of the Pine Manor Institute for Student Success.

“BC is a mission-driven institution with strong leadership and values and a clear vision,” Cooper-Gibson said in the release. “I am elated to have the opportunity to lead Student Affairs at Boston College.”

Cooper-Gibson has previously led student outreach efforts at Northwestern University, the University of Chicago, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Loyola University Chicago.

At Seton Hall, Cooper-Gibson oversaw 140 full-time staff members and 350 student staff members. She was also in charge of all aspects of student life, including housing and residential life, counseling and health services, student life and community development, and the academic resource center.

Cooper-Gibson designed a four-year plan to improve the undergraduate student experience at Seton Hall, while also leading school-wide diversity and inclusion efforts. She also worked with top administrators to improve academic advising for students.

BC’s Executive Vice President Michael Lochhead said in the release that Cooper-Gibson was the perfect candidate for the position because of her record of accomplishments at Catholic institutions.

“Shawna stood out as the ideal person to lead Student Affairs at Boston College because of her vast experience in higher education and her commitment to BC’s mission and Jesuit, Catholic heritage,” Lochhead said. 

Cooper-Gibson received a bachelor’s degree in elementary education from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction from National Louis University, and a doctorate in education and human development from Boston University, according to the release.

She said she is looking forward to working with other administrators at BC to improve the undergraduate experience.

When an opportunity became available to recommit myself to Jesuit, Catholic education at Boston College, I knew I could not pass it up,” Cooper-Gibson said in the release. “I am excited to contribute to the University’s Strategic Plan, to enhance the overall student experience, and to build an equitable experience for all BC students.”

Featured Graphic by Eamon Laughlin / Heights Editor

June 28, 2021