Sports, Fall, Field Hockey

Eagles Earn Gritty Win Over Wake Forest

Boston College field hockey was just over a minute away from finishing off its regular season with a pivotal road victory against Wake Forest. With 1:14 remaining in the game, Wake Forest’s Nat Friedman found herself streaking toward the goal with the ball on her stick and no defender in sight.  

She fired a hard shot on goal that appeared destined to tie it up late, but BC goaltender Jonna Kennedy single-handedly saved the day. The veteran goaltender dove to her right and made a spectacular stick save to stop Friedman and preserve a crucial victory for BC.

Thanks to Kennedy’s save, the Eagles (12–5, 3–3 Atlantic Coast) held off the Demon Deacons (7–9, 1–6) to end their regular season with a 2–1 victory.

With the win, the Eagles will travel to Syracuse next weekend to take on Virginia in the ACC Tournament riding a three-game win streak with momentum on their side.

Just a few minutes into the game, BC appeared to have its first break, as a loose ball found Nell Webber at point-blank range, and she rifled a shot into the back of the cage. The Eagles had already begun to celebrate, but officials called the goal back after ruling it a dangerous play.

Later on in the first quarter, BC’s Sky Caron committed an almost costly turnover in the defensive zone. After the Deacons took over possession, Kennedy blocked a Wake Forest centering attempt to keep the game scoreless. 

Wake Forest’s lone penalty corner, which BC blocked, came in the first quarter. Otherwise, Kennedy had a quiet first half, as she did not have to face a single shot on goal.

The Eagles mustered some chances in the second quarter, but Wake Forest goalie Tori Glaister made two saves, including a stop to deny Webber once again.

BC picked up its game in the third quarter. Four minutes into the frame, Margo Carlin made a terrific steal. She kept possession and took the ball down the right flank and completed a perfect pass to Webber, who now found herself staring at a wide-open net. Webber cashed in to give BC a 1–0 lead, finally scoring after coming so close in the first half of play.

Just a few minutes later, the Eagles doubled their lead on a penalty corner opportunity. Caron’s shot off the corner was redirected by a Wake Forest defender in front of the goal toward Elizabeth Warner. Warner got her stick on it and watched the ball slowly trickle over the goal line to give BC a two-goal advantage.

Three minutes into the final quarter, Wake Forest got on the board. Meike Lanckohr rocketed a backhand shot past Kennedy and into the net to make it a 2–1 game with just over 12 minutes to go.

Following the goal, the Eagles had some penalty corner chances. Though they came close to adding to their lead again, Glaister and the Wake Forest defense stood tall.

Kennedy’s save with just over a minute to go preserved the lead and ultimately the victory for BC. Her only save of the day was a big one.

Featured Image by Nicole Wei / For The Heights