Arts, Movies, Review

Latest Film of Beloved Prank Series Proves ‘Jackass’ Truly is Forever

The latest film in the reality prankster series Jackass is not for the faint of heart. Jackass Forever reaches a new level of ridiculousness with its rollercoaster of hard laughs and extreme secondhand pain. Released on Feb. 4, the movie proves that this absurd and hilarious gang of pranksters is going to be around forever.   

The fourth installment in the Jackass series picks up right where protagonist Johnny Knoxville and the gang—including Steve-O and Wee Man—left off with their pranks and risky antics. In a stunt called “The Human Ramp,” the pranksters hold a wooden ramp on their backs as a skateboarder rides over them. The movie is packed with instances where the cast does stunts that most people wouldn’t dare attempt. Even after an 11-year hiatus, the film still captures that same entertaining madness that earned the Jackass series its popularity. 

Most of the old crew returned for the newest feature, including Knoxville, Steve-O, “Danger” Ehren McGhehey, Dave England, and director Jeff Tremaine. 

Two key members were missing from their roles, including Ryan Dunn and Bam Margera. Dunn died in a car crash in 2011 shortly after the release of Jackass 3. Paramount Pictures fired Margera, who has struggled with alcoholism, due to his disruptive conduct after breaking his promise to remain sober during the production. 

In addition to the old timers, Jackass Forever features a few new faces. Jasper Dolphin, Zach Holmes, and Rachel Wolfson all provided memorable performances. Their camaraderie with the original cast makes their integration into the film seamless. 

What makes this reunion film so great is that it barely feels like a reunion film. Instead of cheap fan service and toned-down gags, Jackass Forever goes full throttle, keeping up with the earliest and craziest films in the series. 

The film never feels repetitive. The cast doesn’t redo past stunts, instead recreating and performing them in new, wilder ways. Take, for example, the stunt called “Flight of Icarus,” where Knoxville relives one of his most memorable moments: being shot out of a human cannon. This time, though, Knoxville is draped in the wings of Icarus—an homage to a career of flying too close to the sun.

All this new Jackass film needed to do is continue making a creative and unique mix of stunts and comedy, and it was able to accomplish that at an exceptionally high level. Knoxville proved doubtful audience members wrong again by creating a piece of pure, enjoyable entertainment.  That’s why these movies, and this one in particular, will always stand the test of time. 

Featured Image Courtesy of Paramount Pictures Studios