Sports, Spring, Lacrosse

Nine Eagles Score as BC Cruises to 22–5 Victory Over UMass

Since 2017, Boston College lacrosse has appeared in four consecutive NCAA Tournament championship games, including a win in the 2021 National Championship. In that span, BC has gone 85–17, winning 31 of those 85 by at least a 10-goal margin. Entering Wednesday’s matchup, the Eagles had won by 15 goals or more twice in those four years. 

No. 1 BC (2–0) added a third on Wednesday with a 22–5 win over No. 24 UMass (1–1), marking its largest margin of victory since a 20–2 victory over Holy Cross on Feb. 3, 2018. 

As she did in BC’s season opener against Northwestern on Feb. 12, Charlotte North led the scoring for the Eagles on Wednesday with seven goals. Three of her seven tallies came on free-position shots. 

Following North on Wednesday’s stat sheet was Jenn Medjid, who tallied five goals in the matchup. Nine Eagles scored, with four BC players—North, Medjid, Kayla Martello, and Belle Smith—recording a multi-goal game.

UMass opened the scoring two and a half minutes into the game. Just over five minutes later, BC tied things up at 1–1, and UMass scored again a minute later. Two consecutive BC goals with around five minutes left in the first quarter put BC up 3–2, and the Eagles never lost their lead for the rest of the game. 

BC dominated the second quarter, scoring seven goals for its highest single-quarter total of the game. During the second quarter, Mallory Hasselbeck, Inside Lacrosse’s No. 1 recruit for the class of 2025, scored her first career goal on a free-position shot. 

The Eagles outperformed UMass on the stat sheet, with 41 shots compared to UMass’ 18, 10 caused turnovers compared to UMass’ six, and three man-advantages compared to the Minutewomen’s one. 

BC goaltender Rachel Hall made five saves and allowed four goals for a .556 save percentage. The Eagles pulled Hall with 3:33 left to play and substituted in freshman Emily English at goalkeeper. English allowed one goal in her first collegiate minutes. 

In its first two games of the season, BC has now outscored its opponents 40–14, and both teams the Eagles faced are predicted to win their respective conferences this season. 

Featured Image by Chris Ticas / Heights Staff