News, Top Story, Administration

BC To Increase Cost of Attendance to $80,296 for 2022-23 Academic Year

The Boston College Board of Trustees voted to raise undergraduate tuition to $62,950 for the 2022–23 academic year, a $2,420 increase from the previous year’s tuition, according to a University release. 

The total cost of attendance will rise to $80,296 including the price of room and board, fees, and tuition—a 3.68 percent increase from this year. 

The University also voted to increase need-based undergraduate financial aid by 4.43 percent to a total of $157 million. 

“Boston College remains one of only 21 private universities in the United States that is need-blind in admissions and meets the full-demonstrated need of all undergraduate students,” said Associate Vice President for University Communications Jack Dunn in the release.

Financial aid funds rose 0.75 percent more than the total cost of attendance. Dunn wrote that BC’s decision to increase financial aid reflects its commitment to ensuring accessibility to students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds. 

Dunn also wrote that BC is ranked 39th in the “Best Value Schools” in U.S. News & World Report and placed 19th in Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine’s “Best Values” category. 

“Overall, more than 67 percent of Boston College undergraduates receive financial

Aid,” Dunn said in the release. “The average need-based financial aid package is projected to exceed $52,000 in 2022-2023.”

Boston College Law School’s tuition is now $63,130, a $2,430 increase from the previous year. The University also raised tuition for the Carroll School of Management’s full-time MBA program to $59,030—a $2,270 increase.

Vice Provost for Enrollment Management John Mahoney, BC ’79, discussed the trajectory of academic costs and financial aid in a 2019 forum. Mahoney projected that by the 2026–27 academic year, BC’s full cost for tuition, room, and board will exceed $100,000. 

At that forum, Mahoney said he is proud that the University meets the demonstrated need of every student it admits entirely and hopes it can continue to do so.

“Those are lofty principles to live up to,” he said. “[They’re] very expensive [principles] to live up to.”

Featured Image by Ben Schultz / For The Heights