Opinions, Top Story, Letters To The Editor

Letter to the Editor: “Jerry York’s Letter to the Boston College Community”

Dear BC Community,

Pulling on a BC hockey jersey almost 60 years ago was a dream come true. When Fr. Monan offered me the opportunity to return to the Heights in 1994 as the men’s hockey coach, it gave me the chance to relive that dream for the past 28 years.

A team is the most special group of which a person can be a part. Everyone is equally invested in achieving a common goal, something larger than themselves. My team has been Boston College for as long as I can remember. I’ve considered all of you—students, faculty, superfans and alums—part of the BC hockey team and true teammates. You helped to make every day I spent on campus special and every game I coached memorable. 

I want to thank Fr. Leahy and the University administration, faculty, and staff for all they do to form our students in and out of the classroom. I also am grateful for the wonderful services provided to the Boston College community by offices such as Admission, Campus Ministry, Student Affairs, Residential Life, Boston College Police Department, and BC Dining. Our trophies are certainly your trophies. 

Let me say to the administrators, coaches, and student-athletes who have made up my athletic family that I have loved working alongside you and watching and cheering for you as you have represented BC so proudly and successfully over the years. I have learned much from all of you, and you have made me a better coach and Eagle. I also thank Athletic Maintenance and Facilities for their hard work, which has kept our home away from home the quality venue it is.

And lastly, I am deeply grateful for the commitment and the many sacrifices that the hockey coaches and staff, current and past, have made on behalf of the Boston College hockey program. I could not have done it without you. And of course, I thank my players, particularly this year’s team, for wearing the maroon and gold with pride and distinction and being outstanding representatives of Boston College.

Faith, family, and Boston College have been the foundation of my daily life. I hope all of you discover your passion and live within it every day. Support your teams, love your University, and live your life as men and women for others.

May our paths cross often, and may we meet up at future BC athletic events. 

Once an Eagle, always an Eagle!

Coach York