Sports, Football, Fall

Preview: BC Looks to Recover on the Road at Louisville

In its Week Three game against then-No. 3 Florida State, Boston College football showcased a remarkable level of resilience, nearly coming all the way back from a 21-point deficit. But trailing by two points with only 5:19 remaining in the game, BC fell short of a win against the Seminoles, who secured a 31–29 win.

For the first time this season, the Eagles are on the road this week as they head to L&N Federal Credit Union Stadium for an ACC matchup against the No. 3 team in the conference, Louisville. With their win against Indiana last week and undefeated record thus far, the Cardinals hold their best record through three games since 2016. 

Who is BC playing? 

Louisville

When is BC playing?

Saturday, Sept. 23, 3:30 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

L&N Federal Credit Union Stadium, Louisville K.Y.

How to Watch: 

The game will air on ACC network and BC Sports Network from Learfield on WEEI 93.7 FM/850 AM. 

Series History:

The all-time series between the two programs—in which the Cardinals hold an 8–7 record over BC—has been highly competitive and has seen 15 encounters on the field. The Eagles have triumphed in two of the last four matchups, demonstrating their ability to compete with ACC rivals. Notably, BC defeated Louisville by a razor-thin margin of 34–33 in their most recent matchup in 2022

What to Expect From Louisville’s Offense:

The offensive prowess of Louisville is primarily a result of its senior quarterback, Jack Plummer. Plummer, who previously played at Purdue, has brought his dependable passing abilities to the Cardinals, enabling them to move the ball effectively. Plummer is a valuable asset to Louisville’s offense because of his aptitude for reading defenses, producing accurate throws, and controlling the game’s pace. 

Running back Jawhar Jordan’s agility, speed, and capacity to avoid tackles give Louisville’s offense a dynamic element. The Cardinals can successfully mix passing and running plays thanks to Jordan’s versatility, making their offense unpredictable. Jamari Thrash stands out as a game changer in the receiving corps. Thrash is a prime target for Plummer, with his explosive speed and adeptness at running routes. He nearly broke Louisville’s single-game receiving record in Week Three , demonstrating his ability to stretch the field and produce big plays. BC’s defense must pay close attention to Thrash as it looks to make stops.

What to Expect From Louisville’s Defense:

Louisville’s defense has had moments of resiliency and has the capacity to make significant stops when under pressure. But as illustrated in the Cardinals’ Week Three game against Indiana, its performance could have been improved with consistency. Despite its depth and talent, Louisville’s defensive line has needed help consistently applying pressure to opposing quarterbacks, especially in the second half of games—something it will need to work on against BC’s O-line.

The safety tandem of Cam’Ron Kelly and Devin Neal has stood out as a strength in the secondary, with a combined 20 total tackles, four tackles for loss, and an interception against Indiana. As the top cover corner for the Cardinals, Quincy Riley has maintained his excellence while supplying consistency covering the passing game. The contributions of linebacker T.J. Quinn also stand out, with his game-saving tackle during a significant goal-line stop. But Louisville’s penalties on both sides of the ball, which has hampered drives and disrupted the game’s flow.

Outlook:

BC and Louisville’s matchup promises to be closely contested, with each team having its chances. Although the Eagles have a solid passing attack, Louisville’s ball-control strategy may ultimately win the game. By managing the clock and racking up yards on the ground, the Cardinals have proven they can win by slogging it out. But if the Eagles’ defense can get the Cardinals into passing situations, it could halt Louisville’s ground game. 

The performance of BC’s quarterback, Thomas Castellanos, is one crucial factor that could tip the game in the Eagles’ favor. Castellanos has been a standout player and has the capacity to complete clutch throws under extreme pressure. His on-field leadership may give BC the edge.  After an inconsistent start to the season, the Eagles have a chance to walk away with a win on the road, bringing momentum back into their corner.