Opinions, TU/TD

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week of Oct. 1

Thumbs Up:

• It’s Time for a Break!
    • With almost six weeks down and midterms upon us, Boston College students are in serious need of a study break. So, Fall Break could not be coming at a better time! Whether you’re flying home for the weekend, off to visit loved ones, headed on a new adventure with your friends, or just sticking around campus, the long weekend is a perfect moment to reset and prepare for the rest of the semester. We at Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down hope you take some time to yourself over these few days off—relax, focus on your mental health, and remember how much there is to look forward to in the weeks to come.
  • Cooking Connoisseurs
    • For freshmen, sophomores, and juniors who find themselves in on-campus housing without kitchens, nothing is more inviting than an upperclassman’s promise of a home-cooked meal. Whether they’re making plain pasta or whipping up an elaborate family favorite recipe, just about anything is a refreshing alternative to the dining hall. With the added promise of friendly conversation, a comfy couch to relax on, and wisdom from older students, these group meals can bring joy to all BC students. So, hint hint, hey upperclassmen—think about inviting your favorite mentees over for a nice home-cooked fall meal this week!

Thumbs Down:

• (Not) Going With the Flow
    • For those BC students who find themselves constantly rushing from one place to the next, there are few things more frustrating than the awkward run-in with a person headed straight at you. From entering doors, to climbing the Million Dollar Stairs, to beelining down the Quad, there always seems to be people who are simply not going in the right direction. In elementary school, we were taught to always walk on the right when passing other people, and on our busy college campus, the same applies. So please, don’t be the person who refuses to go with the flow!
  • Dirty Shoes = Our Demise
    • Few things can ruin your day more than seeing your shoes get dirty. Many Eagles care about the kicks they wear, but no matter how hard we try, even our newest shoes will eventually face the music (or the mud). The evening shoe cleanup after getting your shoes dirty is always humiliating—no matter the sink you use or the stain-removing recipe you choose. So whether you’re reading this while scrubbing at the stains on your Converse or spraying off the substances sticking to your Vans, take comfort that no one actually noticed how gross your shoes looked today—no one except you.