Jorja Smith Takes Her Listeners Through The Ups and Downs of Love With ‘falling or flying’

British R&B singer Jorja Smith released her first LP in five years on Sept. 29. Her second full-length studio album, falling or flying, explores themes such as love, desire, and trust, while navigating the topic of relationships.

The 26-year-old artist first emerged in 2016 with the release of her single “Blue Lights.” Two years later came her debut album, Lost & Found, which was nominated for the Best New Artist category in the 2019 Grammy Awards. She won the British Female Solo Artist title in the BRIT Awards the same year. Throughout the last decade, Smith’s fan base has grown, with the release of now-popular club songs such as her collaboration with Maverick Sabre and Vintage Culture on “Slow Down,” and “Little Things,” which was a part of falling or flying.

falling or flying kicks off with “Try Me,” a ballad with strong and steady beats. The opening track can be viewed as Smith’s response to a person, potentially a romantic partner, who has told her she “has changed.” 

“I’ve changed? / There’s only ever been one thing that I’ve changed,” Smith sings. 

In between her freshman and sophomore albums, Smith’s life underwent significant changes. Tired of the London rush, the artist decided to move back to her hometown of Walsall, where she spent the last two years crafting falling or flying. Undoubtedly, this was a period of growth and maturing for Smith, which is reflected in her latest release.

“I don’t have to tell you what I’ve changed, oh-oh, no / ‘Cause I couldn’t tell you that I’ve changed,” Smith sings in “Try Me.” 

“Feelings (feat. J Hus),” pinpoints the moment of realization that you need to end a relationship despite still having feelings for your significant other. The fifth track of the album follows a Latin-inspired rhythm, with beats worthy of hip shakes. The layered male and female harmonies contribute to the sensual aspect of the song, which could make it a nightclub hit. 

“Tell me there’s something inside that I need / You know I’m not gonna stay the night, oh / I just need one reason,” Smith sings.

The sixth track, after which the album was named, is the musical equivalent to the feeling of being in love with all its highs and lows. “Falling or flying” starts off with a mesmerizing, outer-space-sounding instrumental that takes listeners through a flying experience. The first few seconds are followed by the gradual addition of low piano notes that attribute a melancholic ring to the tune.

There’s a sudden change in style when Smith’s voice emerges accompanied by a bass guitar, turning the song into a rather cool, jazzy hit. The chorus includes backing vocals, adding another instrumental layer to the song.

“GO GO GO” comes off as a surprise to listeners. Instead of the typical R&B song, Smith introduces a teenage-sounding ballad, where the main character—other than the singer’s powerful voice—is the acoustic guitar. Full of emotion and I’m-so-over-you energy, the track sounds like something that would play in a dramatic scene in a coming-of-age movie. The catchy lyrics and rhythm combo are sure to be stuck in listeners’ minds.

“I close my eyes, don’t wake me no more / I break the ties, I’m gone for good now,” Smith belts.

In contrast to the eight initial songs, the second half of falling or flying exhibits the feeling of  falling with some not-as-upbeat tunes. 

In “What if my heart beats faster?—the final track of the LP—Smith reveals an emotional detachment when it comes to love in a romantic setting. With a remarkable melody, the opening of the song resembles Kanye West’s “Flashing Lights,” which was released over a decade ago but remains a fan favorite. 

Twenty seconds into the song, there is an abrupt beat drop, leading the song into a completely different, groovy path. Smith’s low tone reveals a  more mature voice and—when paired with a slower tempo—provides a compelling wrap-up to the artist’s long-awaited second album.