Sports, Football, Fall

Preview: BC Looks to Earn Second Consecutive Win Against Army on the Road

After giving up a Hail Mary at the end of last week’s game against Virginia, Boston College football could have mailed it in the second half, earning its third straight loss and causing the program to spiral even more out of control.

But instead, the Eagles stormed back to defeat Virginia 27–24 at home, showing grit and reliance in their 17-point second half. The win sets BC up for a crucial game against Army in West Point, N.Y. in Week Five, as a victory would set the Eagles at .500 on the season.

The Black Knights are coming off a bye week but most recently lost 29–16 to Syracuse on Sept. 23. 

Who is BC playing?

Army

When is BC playing?

Saturday, Oct. 7, 12 p.m. 

Where is BC playing?

Michie Stadium, West Point, N.Y.

How to Watch? 

The game will air on CBS Sports Network and BC Sports Network from Learfield on WEEI 93.7 FM/850 AM. 

Series History: 

The Eagles lead the all-time series against Army 25–13. Although BC has dominated the series 12–2 at Alumni Stadium, it has faced some difficulty on the road, leading the series 13–11. 

Army, however, has only defeated BC twice since 1986 and BC has dominated the series in recent years, as it has won 15 of the last 17 matchups. The last time both squads met was in 2013, when a Steve Addazio–led BC defeated Army in Chestnut Hill 48–27.  

What to expect from Army’s Offense:

Historically, Army is known for its frequent reliance on the triple option. The run-heavy offense allows the Black Knights to control time of possession, as the triple option has proven to be difficult to prepare for.

But despite Army’s reliance on the triple option, head coach Jeff Monken has changed Army’s offense significantly this past season. The change is a result of the NCAA banning players from blocking below the waist outside the tackle box, which allows only linemen and stationary backs to block below the waist inside the box on their initial blocking movement.

There’s been a lot more shotgun formations and throws in West Point this season. Two weeks ago, Army threw the ball 21 times against Syracuse. The most the Black Knights threw last season was 13 times against the University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA).

But the new-look Army offense is still potent. Army has a very disciplined unit, averaging the least amount of penalties in the country so far this season.

Quarterback Bryson Daily has also shown poise in the new-look offense, throwing for 592 yards, five touchdowns, and four interceptions. The junior’s real strength, however, is on the ground, as he is Army’s leading rusher, notching 275 rushing yards and three touchdowns on 76 carries so far this season.

Hayden Reed, Jakobi Buchanan, Markel Johnson, Kayne Udoh, and Miles Stewart round out Army’s running back room, as each back has at least 10 carries so far this season.

Receivers Isaiah Alston and Noah Short have also put together impressive seasons thus far, combining for 458 receiving yards and four touchdowns.

What to Expect From Army’s Defense: 

Although Army’s defense has struggled the last two weeks against Syracuse and UTSA—allowing 29 points each week—as a unit, it cannot be overlooked.

Linebackers Leo Lowin, Jimmy Ciarlo, and Cameron Jones anchor the defense and lead the team in tackling, combining for 67 this season. Ciarlo, in particular, is having a strong season, as he’s recorded three sacks and a forced fumble through four games.

Army’s pass rush, however, has only registered nine sacks through four games, with five of those sacks coming against FCS opponent Delaware State in Week Two, which Army defeated 57–0.

Army’s defense has picked up three interceptions this season, with Jones and Max Didomenico each grabbing one in addition to safety Bo Nicolas-Paul running an interception back for a touchdown in Army’s Week One loss to Louisiana-Monroe. 

BC quarterback Thomas Castellanos will look to exploit Army’s defense with his elusive running ability to extend plays. 

Outlook: 

BC and Army’s Week Five matchup will very likely be a closely contested, physical affair. With BC starting games off slow the past two weeks, Army will look to control the time of possession battle and score early against the Eagles. Expect Army to utilize its strong running game and try to exploit BC’s undisciplined play.

Even with some advantages, shutting down the dynamic player that is Castellanos will prove difficult for Army’s defense. Castellanos and his dual-threat ability give BC a unique edge on offense and could prove to be the difference maker.