Sports, Fall, Women's Soccer

No. 2 Florida State Demolishes Eagles 6–0 as BC’s Scoring Troubles Continue

Heading into Boston College women’s soccer’s Sunday matinee matchup, Florida State had not lost an ACC game since Oct. 20, 2022.

The Eagles, however, had not won an ACC game in 367 days—not since Oct. 6, 2022, against Syracuse.

That streak didn’t end on Sunday, as BC (3–9–2, 0–6 Atlantic Coast) fell to No. 2 Florida State (10–0–1, 5–0–1 Atlantic Coast) on the road, as the Seminoles exploded for five goals in the final 47 minutes while controlling possession for 66% of the game. Sunday marked the most goals BC has given up all season, and the most it has allowed since Sept. 16, 2022, when the Eagles lost 6–0 to Florida State in Newton, Mass.

BC has scored just two goals in its last six games—all conference matchups.

The Seminoles got the scoring started early, as Jody Brown made a perfect cross to Jordynn Dudley right in on BC’s goalkeeper Wiebke Willebrandt, who could do little with a shot that close to her. Dudley converted the shot, putting the Seminoles ahead 1–0 just 6:17 into the game.

The teams traded chances throughout the rest of the first half, with BC’s Aislin Streicek making a key interception on a pass in between Florida State’s center backs. Streicek then dribbled into the box and fired off a shot at the 20 minute mark, but it went right to the Seminoles’ goalkeeper Cristina Roque, who stopped the potential equalizer with ease.

Dudley continued to pressure BC’s defense, and she almost notched her second goal of the game at the 25:25 mark, but she put the ball just wide to keep the score at 1–0.

Despite the Eagles’ efforts to contain Florida State, the Seminoles extended their lead with just 2:03 left in the first half. Redshirt junior Kaitlyn Zipay tapped the ball past Willebrandt to put Florida State up by two heading into halftime. The goal marked Zipay’s first of the season.

BC registered three shots in the first half compared to Florida State’s seven.

The second half, however, was all Florida State. The scoring onslaught almost started four minutes into the half when Beata Olsson hit the crossbar on a rocket of a shot.

But the Seminoles recorded their third goal not long after, as Leilanni Nesbeth fired a clinical finish into the back corner to allow Florida State to take a 3–0 lead at the 55:00 mark.

Just 48 seconds later, Taylor Huff fired past Willebrandt from a tough angle, increasing Florida State’s lead to four.

BC couldn’t string together anything on offense, getting off only one shot in the second half compared to Florida State’s 17. The Eagles’ frustration became apparent when Jada Tuffin received two yellow cards in the span of five minutes, resulting in her ejection and BC playing down with 10 players in a game where they were already struggling to compete with 11.

After about 18 minutes of no scoring, Peyton Nourse added another two goals for the Seminoles in just two minutes to bring the score to 6–0.

Eva Nahas replaced Willebrandt after Florida State’s sixth and final goal. Nahas registered three saves in her eight minutes of action, tying her career high.