Opinions, TU/TD

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week of Oct. 15

Thumbs Up:

• Falling for Fall
    • In addition to the joyful colors of changing leaves and the crispness of fresh air, the fall season brings many wholesome traditions to anticipate. And where better to do them than New England! From apple picking to telling scary campfire stories to baking pumpkin everything, there is a great deal to look forward to in the fall. Don your favorite sweater, grab your roomies, enjoy an apple cider donut, and take a peaceful walk through the fall foliage before it gets too cold!
  • It’s Been a Long Time Coming
    • As evidenced by the Boston College Instagram’s many references to the Midnights album release last fall, we are undoubtedly a Swiftie school. So, you best believe we were bejeweled, decked out in friendship bracelets, and anxiously awaiting the arrival of Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour, which premiered this past Friday. Over the next few weeks, take the opportunity to getaway from campus and watch the iconic film in a local theater. Whether you find yourself wearing short skirts, t-shirts, high heels, or sneakers to the movie, we promise you will enjoy this film. Surely, this moment will be remembered all too well.

Thumbs Down:

• Finding Ourselves Roomie-less
    • It’s officially the season of retreats, breaks, and spontaneous trips home for college students at BC. Although these weekends away can certainly be nice, the inevitable downside is being the roommate left back at school. Especially starting sophomore year, many students find themselves attached to their built-in buddy. Without that person to talk to—or aimlessly annoy—having a room to yourself can get old pretty fast. So hold tight to your roomie and try to make weekend plans together while you can.
  • Grocery Woes
    • Long a problem for BC students, the lack of a full grocery store near campus continues to haunt us. For upperclassmen who need groceries to cook or underclassmen looking to stock up on their favorite comfort snacks, the trek to a grocery store can become tedious. With grocery shuttles and on-campus options, BC has tried to solve this problem, but many students remain frustrated about the time and effort needed to get their basic grocery staples. We at Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down would like to endorse Trader Joe’s frozen meals and stocking up on non-perishables when possible—but don’t be discouraged, you’ll get your grub!