Arts, Off Campus

Faye Webster’s Subtle Yet Powerful Vocals and Screen Animations Create a Magical Night at Roadrunner

Faye Webster’s beautiful and unique vocals coupled with screen animations celebrating nature created a dreamlike atmosphere at Roadrunner on Oct. 20. 

The opening band, Upchuck, was an almost comedic contrast to the soft vocals that would follow. The punk band’s lead singer Kaila Thompson, aka KT, later crowd-surfed and danced in the middle of the Roadrunner pit with fans to Webster’s song, “Cheers.”

Webster opened with her single “But Not Kiss,” released in June 2023. The single set up the heavenly mood for the rest of the show. 

The minimal theatrics in the performance of the song simultaneously emphasized her vocals and her band’s talent. A singular spotlight from behind shone on Webster as fog hovered around her, reinforcing the ethereal energy. 

Webster’s animations, which highlighted the beauty of nature, were introduced during her third song, “In A Good Way.” The screen behind her depicted a blue sky which was filled with moving clouds during each chorus. In the center of the artificial sky was a depiction of a character sitting atop what seemed to be a large tree trunk. 

The character’s facial expression was stern, and their hair fanned out similar to Medusa’s snakes, but more closely resembled sticks. This drawing remained centered on the screen throughout the show, adding to the mystique of the show and the theme of nature.

The audience cheered as it realized the song that followed was “Right Side of My Neck,” a popular song off her album Atlanta Millionaires Club, released in 2019. 

During “I Know I’m Funny haha,” the background lighting switched to red with a spotlight on Webster. Just as the animations appeared during the chorus for her other songs, this theme continued as circles, some broken in half, with “haha” written on them fell across the screen. 

“But I know I’m funny, haha,” the audience sang with Webster. 

Webster interacted with her fans throughout the show, in between songs, speaking directly to people who shouted out to her, and catching two plush stuffed animals tossed to her. Her sweet and humble personality was reflected through her casual way of engaging with the audience. 

Later, dark blue filled the screen as a moon appeared behind the goddess-like character and stars filled the remaining backdrop. The same single spotlight shone down on Webster at her center mic stand as she began to sing the opening verse of “Jonny.” Webster moved to the piano for the chorus as the audience’s voices grew louder. 

“Jonny, do you see what you’re doing? / What you’re making me think about? / This wasn’t ’posed to be a love song / But I guess it is now,” Webster sang.

She went straight into “Jonny (Reprise),” as the animations disappeared, leaving a single spotlight on Webster. Intense emotions were revealed through the song, spoken, rather than sung. 

“Goodbye, Jonny,” the audience screamed while Webster raised her voice and the animations reappeared, the stars transforming into shooting stars as the instruments intensified. 

“Okay, we’re gonna play a new song,” Webster teased. “Just kidding, it’s the song from Pokémon.” 

The backdrop turned to black and animations of snow falling covered the screen. A streaky spotlight covered Webster as she sang her newest single, “Lifetime.” Her vocals were quiet but powerful.

Next, Webster moved back to the center mic and gave the fans what they wanted.

“Now we’re gonna play a new song,” Webster said. 

Low, flashing orange lights shone around the stage. Animated fiery sparks flew sporadically across the backdrop. The audience was silent, with just Webster’s voice singing the lyrics to her new song. 

“Thinking about you,” she sang again and again to the lyrics of her new untitled, unreleased song. 

As soon as Webster sang the first word of her next song, “In A Good Way,” the audience screamed along. With the chorus came tear animations trickling down the screen. During her guitarist’s solo, Webster stepped away from her center mic to admire his talent. 

The encore consisted of two songs, one of which was introduced by Webster as “a really dumb song I wrote.” Webster sang at her center mic and her bass player, Nora, sang at the piano. Two spotlights shone from behind them as their voices beautifully complemented each other. The two of them giggled throughout the lighthearted song.

Finally, Webster’s most popular song, “Kingston,” was played, provoking a large applause. An animation of a picturesque sunset appeared on the screen as Webster sang at the piano. 

“He said baby, that’s what he called me, I love you,” the audience screamed to the lyrics of one of Webster’s most listened songs as she and her band went silent.