Sports, Winter, Basketball, Women's Basketball

BC Narrowly Defeats Demon Deacons 68–65

Behind the support of young girls basketball teams on Guardians of the Galaxy Night, Boston College women’s basketball narrowly beat Wake Forest in one of its closest games of the season. The players fed off the energy from the fans, which included passionate and energetic young players.    

“It’s so amazing because we were just like that, we were the ones asking for autographs,”  Teya Sidberry said. “It’s really cool. We’re playing the game and they’re on the sidelines cheering our name and that’s really cool”.

On Thursday night in Conte Forum, the matchup had 14 lead changes and nine ties in the Eagles’ (11–8, 3–3 Atlantic Coast) 68–65 victory over the Demon Deacons (4–15, 0–7). With 21 points scored in the last minute, the game went down to the wire. It was a tight, back-and-forth game, but the Eagles pulled away in the fourth quarter. BC secured its victory against Wake Forest on the free-throw line. The Eagles recorded 22 points from the line, as opposed to Wake Forest’s seven.

“In practice we shoot the ball really well from the free throw line,” BC head coach Joanna Bernabei-McNamee said. “Hopefully, now this game can give us a little more confidence in upping that percentage from here on out.”

Sidberry scored the game’s first basket to put BC on the board. The Eagles were aggressive on defense, setting the game’s tone right away. 

Wake Forest tied the game at two, three minutes into the game. It was low-scoring but high-paced, as both teams initially struggled to sink baskets. Andrea Daley put up an in-and-out missed 3-point attempt—a sign of the Eagles’ trouble at the rim. 

The first six minutes of the game were filled with everything but baskets. 

Daley tied the game with a jumper, bringing the score to 9–9, and Todd battled for another basket to give BC the lead. The close quarter ended with the Eagles on top 11–9. 

Dontavia Waggoner started the scoring in the second quarter with a layup off an offensive rebound. Wake Forest committed two offensive fouls in the first two minutes of the quarter, which helped BC control possession, but Wake Forest eventually swished a successful 3-pointer to bring the Demon Deacons within one. Kaylah Ivey then fouled Kaia Harrison, whose two made free throws gave Wake Forest a 14–13 lead.

Sidberry responded with a jumper to make it 15–14, only for Wake Forest to nail a 3-pointer to tie the game at 17 with 3:30 to go in the half.

Daley and Sidberry closed the half out by hitting back-to-back 3-pointers to give BC a 27–23 lead, its largest lead of the night, ending the first half of play. The Eagles went 22 of 28 from the line, and Sidberry led the Eagles’ offense with 11 points.

“We try to put all our focus on the defensive end and control what you can control,” Bernabei-McNamee said. “Crash the boards on the offensive end if something doesn’t go in, make sure on the defensive end, we’re blocking out and we’re keeping with our assignments.”

The Demon Deacons scored first in the second half, followed by a Todd 3-pointer. Just 2:15 into the quarter Wake Forest tied the game at 31. Raegyn Conley then nailed a 3-pointer to give the Demon Deacons a 31–34 lead. 

The two teams continued to trade points and neither could cement a lead. Wake Forest committed more fouls in the second half, and the Eagles capitalized on trips to the free-throw line. Wake Forest’s 3-pointer with 2:15 to go propelled the Demon Deacons with a 38–39 lead. 

The third quarter ended with the Eagles up 43–41, scoring nine from the free-throw line. 

Daley and Alexandria Scruggs scored back-to-back baskets to make it 45–43 at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Waggoner then scored a layup basket to give BC a four-point lead and JaKayla Thompson scored a buzzer-beater to maintain the Eagles’ lead.

“Keeping it aggressive on defense,” Sidberry said. “That’s what really helped us translate that into offense.” 

The Eagles built on their momentum and pulled ahead 55-46 halfway through the fourth quarter. BC, powered by a Todd layup, brought its lead to 59–52, with 1:23 to go. Wake Forest scored back-to-back 3-pointers to bring the game within four points, as the score was 64–60 with 25 seconds left. The Demon Deacons’ Rylie Theuerkauf scored a layup to make it 64–62 with 20 seconds left. 

After exchanging fouls and free throws, the score was 66–65 with seven seconds left and Wake Forest was unable to mount a comeback. 

“There is no easy night in the ACC,” Bernabei-McNamee said. “Wake Forest came in here with a really good game plan and played really hard. I’m proud of our players for gritting it out and getting the W.”