Sports, Spring, Softball

BC Softball Wins Three Of Five Over Easter Break

While students were on break over Easter weekend, the Boston College softball team played five games over the course of four days. The Eagles were on the road to face two opponents: Syracuse on Wednesday, and NC State on Friday and Saturday.

In Wednesday’s doubleheader against Syracuse, BC won its first game 2-0, but lost the second matchup of the day 13-12. The Eagles then traveled from Syracuse, N.Y. to Raleigh, N.C., where they won two games on Friday—2-0 and 6-2, respectively. They then dropped the third game 6-1 to the No. 4 team in the ACC.

Syracuse

Nicole D’Argento oversaw the four-hit, no-run game from the mound for the Eagles. She pitched all seven innings, striking out eight.

On the other side of the ball, the Eagles also recorded four hits total, but scored two runs in the fourth inning. It all began when Alana DiMaso doubled with two outs, getting on base. Jessie Daulton singled, which sent DiMaso home. Daulton then scored when Jordan Weed hit a double.

The next game saw three different pitchers for both sides, and no one could stop the other team’s hitting. Weed started the game for the Eagles and let up seven hits and six runs in 1.2 innings. Taylor Coroneos and D’Argento relieved—Coroneos let up one run, while D’Argento let up six.

As far as hitting went, BC managed to maintain a steady offensive pressure—the only inning in which the Eagles didn’t score was the first. Leadoff hitter Megan Cooley led the team in hits, alongside Tatiana Cortez. Cooley had one RBI and two runs, while Cortez had two RBI. Tory Speer collected three RBI, spurred by a two-run double in the fourth inning.

In the fourth inning, the Eagles scored five runs, which was a serious jump in offense from the one- and two-run innings that characterized the rest of the Eagles’ offensive efforts. BC cut Syracuse’s lead to one at the end of the fourth, and Syracuse scored three in the seventh inning in order to claim the 13-12 victory.

NC State

D’Argento pitched BC’s shutout of NC State in the first game of the series, giving up three hits and striking out seven.

BC scored once in the first inning and once in the seventh inning to secure the 2-0 win. Cooley scored the first run, getting home off of a DiMaso single. Weed saw the game out with a home run in the last inning to make the final score 2-0.

Weed then managed to put on a clinic for the rest of the day. She replaced D’Argento on the mound starting in the third inning. In the five innings that she pitched, Weed allowed two hits and one run while striking out six. She also managed three RBI and three hits during the game, leading the team in both statistics. She scored DiMaso for the winning run to put the game at 6-2.

The series ended with an NC State victory on Saturday, as the Wolfpack salvaged one home game, 6-1.

Weed started the game but was substituted in favor of Coroneos in the fifth inning after NC State put up nine hits and six runs.

The Wolfpack scored a run in the second, third, and fourth innings, and then managed three runs in the fifth inning. These three runs came from back-to-back home runs from Leah Jones and Chelsea Tate. Jones scored Hanna Sommer with her homer, and then Tate ran the bases alone after blasting the ball past the fences.

BC’s only point came from Daulton, who made it home from third off of a fly out from Coroneos.

The Eagles, now 25-19, 9-11 ACC, will next face UNC at home on Wednesday. They have a doubleheader on Shea Field, which starts at 1 p.m.