Opinions, Letters To The Editor

LTE: Endorsement Of Warren Tolman

I first met Warren Tolman nearly 20 years ago as he was a 1986 graduate of the Law School. Back then he was a natural leader. Since then, I have watched his career and had the pleasure of working with him on issues we both care about. In each of my interactions with him, Warren has impressed me with his warmth, intelligence, and his commitment to his convictions. Warren is currently running in the Democratic Primary for Attorney General, and I am encouraging my fellow professors, students, friends, and neighbors to support him.

Warren is a proven progressive with bold ideas to protect our communities. As Attorney General, Warren will prioritize taking on gun violence, ending violence against women, tackling opiate abuse, and enforcing mental health parity. He has a five-point plan to work with colleges and universities like our own school to reduce campus sexual assaults. Additionally, Warren is the only candidate to commit to using the current powers of the Attorney General’s Office to require smart gun technology on all new guns sold in Massachusetts. This reform will keep guns out of the hands of unauthorized users, such as children and thieves. This technology will save lives.

None of these challenges come with easy solutions and in some cases solutions require going up against powerful special interests. I know that Warren Tolman is the leader with the conviction, the experience, and the vision to take on these tough fights and win. Please join me in voting for Warren Tolman for Attorney General in the September 9 Democratic primary election.

Robert M. Bloom

Professor of Law