Fall

Settipane Records Third Shutout Of Season Against Richmond

Leah Settipane registered her third shutout of the season and the Boston College Eagles defeated the Richmond Spiders 2-0 and in the process notched their ninth win of the season. The shutout was Settipane’s first since August, and comes at the time when the Eagles need to get hot for postseason play, with only one game remaining in the regular season. Settipane’s shutout comes with a caveat, however, as the BC defense allowed only one shot on goal—a testament to the Eagles’ defensive prowess.

While the Spiders managed only one shot on goal and seven shots overall, the Eagles’ offense wasn’t explosive—BC only totaled 10 total shots, six of which were on goal. Stymied by a Richmond defense that worked hard all day to keep the Eagles from settling in their comfort zone, the Eagles’ shots were few and far between. When opportunities presented themselves, however, BC made sure to capitalize.

Brittany Sheehan got the Eagles on the board by scoring BC’s first goal at the 17:41 mark of the first period, while Eryn McCoy rebounded a missed shot by Romee Stiekema in the second period to push the Eagles’ lead to 2-0. Richmond’s sole shot on goal against the Eagles came at the 9:40 mark, and the Spiders never seriously threatened again.

There was some drama in the second half, as Frederique Haverhals received a 10-minute yellow card in the second half for a sliding tackle, but the Eagles weathered the storm and did not allow a goal throughout the duration of the temporary suspension. Haverhals’ yellow card was the only one present in the game, but BC’s Emily McCoy and Richmond’s Kasey Gilbride both received cautionary green flags for their aggressive play. Overall, BC registered 32 fouls throughout the game in comparison to the Spiders’ 22, and BC was fortunate to avoid suffering from its lack of discipline.

Late in the game, Richmond pulled its goalie, Amanda Hoyt, in a last-gasp attempt to generate some offense. This effort was for nothing, as the Spiders failed to even get a shot off in the 13 minutes they played without the services of a goalie. Richmond was lucky that BC didn’t score any additional goals during its time with an empty net, as the Eagles put the pressure on and tried to take advantage of the pulled keeper in the final minutes.

Featured Image by Drew Hoo / Heights Editor