BC’s Season Ends in NCAA Tournament With Loss To UConn
Fall

All good things must eventually come to an end. The University of Connecticut (22-0, 5-0 AAC), two-time defending national champions, scraped by Boston College (13-8, 2-6 ACC) with a 1-0 victory in the NCAA quarterfinals. The hard-fought game featured 10 saves from BC keeper Leah Settipane, giving her third-most all-time for the Eagles. An immense defensive effort, however, could not save an offense that struggled to find any breathing room on Sunday afternoon.

The Huskies entered the day having dominated most of their schedule, including a 2-1 win over the Eagles earlier in September. They conceded a mere 11 goals all year, and had averaged a sizzling six goals per game.

The lone goal of the day came early in the 27th minute. On a penalty corner, Charlotte Veitner sent in a great pass to Roisin Upton, which she laid off for Sophie Bowden, who fired it into the back of the net. It was Veitner’s 100th point of the year, more than double anyone else on her team.

Neither team could separate itself from the other in the defensive battle. Penalty corners were the primary way UConn threatened BC’s net, but only managed one goal despite taking 12 shots. Settipane made several great saves, laying out multiple times in front of the net to deflect the ball just wide. The rest of the defense did a spectacular job shutting down UConn on the field.

On the other end, the Eagles got some runs together but could barely muster any shots. At the end of the first half, the Huskies led 9-2 in shots.

The second half brought little change. BC almost struck early with a penalty corner but could not convert. UConn responded immediately with three corners in a row, but the Eagles’ defense held on. With BC hanging on by a thread, Upton scored again. The goal, however, was disallowed. Upton hit the post again minutes later.

The Huskies dictated the game from the beginning to the end, holding BC to zero shots on goal for the entire game.

Featured Image by Lucius Xuan / Heights Staff