Spring, Lacrosse

Previewing 2018 Lacrosse: Louisville

No. 2 Boston College lacrosse (9-0, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) takes on Louisville (6-3, 0-2) for the fourth time in program history on Saturday afternoon, looking to increase its overall record against the Cardinals to 3-1. Currently on a nine-game win streak, the Eagles enter the weekend with all of the momentum on their side. Louisville, on the other hand, has an opportunity to pick up its first ACC victory of the year. The Cardinals are coming off an impressive comeback win against Mercer and are undoubtedly craving another thrilling win.

Who is BC playing?

Louisville

When is BC playing?

Saturday, March 17, 12 p.m.

Where is BC playing?

UofL Lacrosse Stadium, Louisville, Ky.

How to Watch:

The game will be broadcasted on ACC Network Extra and can be livestreamed on WatchESPN.

By the Numbers:

BC:

1) Redshirt senior Tess Chandler was recently named one of the Nissan Eagles of the Week. Chandler recorded four goals against Southern California, tying the game as well as scoring the game-winning goal a minute into overtime for a 13-12 BC victory. She also logged two goals against San Diego State in Saturday’s 19-8 victory.

2) With its recent victory over SDSU last Saturday, BC picked up its ninth-straight win, its second-longest win streak in program history. The Eagles defeated the Aztecs, 19-8, marking the sixth game of the season where BC has won by more than twice its opponent’s score.

3) In last week’s game against SDSU, Sam Apuzzo tallied eight points, recording her 200th career point in the process. Now up to 203 points, the junior is tied for seventh in scoring in program history.

Louisville:

1) Earlier this week, Louisville defeated Mercer with a major comeback that was sparked by Tessa Chad, who notched her fifth hat trick of the season and ranks second on the team with 26 goals. After going down, 7-1, Chad rattled off six scoring plays, accounting for six of Louisville’s first 10 goals. Chad’s energy served as a catalyst for the Cardinals’ offense, as the team reclaimed the game and finished with a 21-14 win over Mercer.

2) The Cardinals are led offensively by Caroline Blalock with 27 goals, nine assists, 15 caused turnovers, and 22 ground balls. In Louisville’s most recent contest, Blalock was key, logging four goals and three assists to help bring her team to victory.

3) Louisville’s defense has been successful in recent games. Against Mercer, the Cardinals’ defense got off to a slow start, allowing seven early goals. But the unit quickly found its footing and shut down the Bears, preventing Mercer from scoring for nearly 21 minutes. In addition, Louisville’s defense turns the ball over less than its opponents, with 139 turnovers on the season compared to its opponents’ 167 turnovers.

Last Meeting:

The Eagles and the Cardinals last faced each other in the 2017 season on BC’s home turf, the Newton Campus Lacrosse Field, where BC won, 14-11. The Eagles’ victory brought them to an overall 2-1 lead in the all-time series against Louisville. BC’s win was a byproduct of stellar offense and defensive play. The Eagles prevented the Cardinals from getting on the board for the first 20 minutes of the game, including an 18-minute stretch of not allowing a shot. Kayla O’Connor set a career-high five goals, and Kaileen Hart set a new career high with seven points in the matchup.

BC wins if…

Apuzzo continues to thrive offensively. Not only that, but the junior must also be joined by Dempsey Arsenault, who recently recorded her seventh game of the season with at least a hat trick. Additionally , BC must limit its turnovers. While it hasn’t cost them games, the Eagles have given up 127 turnovers compared to their opponents’ 139, showing that their ball security is perhaps something of an Achilles’ Heel. This number isn’t concerning, but turnovers are something that BC should be conscious of limiting to secure a win.

BC loses if…

It struggles to find offensive success through Apuzzo, Arsenault, and other leading scorers. If the Eagles cannot convert, they will have to rely on extremely solid defense to stop Louisville’s Blalock and Chad. If the Cardinals’ two leading scorers are not properly guarded by BC’s defense, the Eagles will have a hard time taking the win.

Featured Image by Julianna Glafkides / Heights Staff