Ky Bowman Withdraws From NBA Draft, Returning to BC for Junior Season
Top Story, Men's Basketball

Boston College men’s basketball point guard Ky Bowman withdrew from the NBA Draft on Wednesday, opting instead to return to the Eagles for his junior season, BCEagles.com announced today in a press release.

The 6-foot-1 guard had entered the draft process without signing an agent, a move that allowed him to to change his mind—which he did—before the May 30 deadline. He returns to the Heights without his backcourt partner Jerome Robinson, who will likely come off the board in the second round.

“It was a positive experience to go through the NBA Draft process, workout for teams, and receive valuable feedback,” Bowman said in a statement. “I am excited to continue to pursue my dream of playing in the NBA and I know Boston College will help me achieve my goals.”

Bowman took a step forward this past winter, posting career highs in points, assists, rebounds, and steals per game. He averaged almost 18 points per game as the number two option behind Robinson, and impressed down the stretch—his play in the ACC Tournament was especially notable. Bowman averaged 24.9 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 4.7 assists per game during the three-game run that was nothing short of remarkable.

The significance of his return, even if it was expected, can’t be understated. Losing Robinson was inevitable, but without Bowman at the point, BC head coach Jim Christian would be hard-pressed to find success next season. After Bowman, the other option at the point is Avery Wilson, an inexperienced rising sophomore. Jordan Chatman returns but has established himself as a catch-and-shoot guard, and after him, the bench depth is nonexistent.

Overall, BC fans will be relieved to see the familiar red hair streaking down the court on another fast-paced coast-to-coast layup attempt for a third year in a row. He’s established himself as one of the best rebounding guards in the ACC and now looks to take a step forward in terms of limiting turnovers and taking strides as the go-to scoring option. After being merely an honorable mention All-ACC selection at the end of last year, expect the guard to play with a chip on his shoulder.

Featured Image by Melissa Rice / Heights Editor