Dining Services Entry-Level Hourly Pay Increases to $16.50
News, Top Story, Administration

Boston College announced on May 29 that Dining Services will now have a new entry-level hourly pay rate, effective as of May 27. At $16.50 per hour, the new rate is intended to be more competitive with wages other universities pay their food service employees.

“In arriving at this decision, we wanted to be sure to adequately recognize the many contributions our Dining Services employees provide on a daily basis to Boston College and our students,” Vice President for Human Resources David Trainor told The Chronicle.

The entry level rate came to be thanks to a study by BC’s Human Resources Compensation Team analyzing how the University’s Dining Services employees were paid compared to other university food service operations in Boston.

“This study provided assurance that our Dining Services job pay rates are highly competitive,” Associate Vice President of Auxiliary Services Patricia Bando told The Chronicle.

Auxiliary Services declined to comment further to The Heights, as a matter of policy in regards to personnel matters.

According to guidelines posted by the BC Compensation Office, BC Dining’s entry-level wage increased from $13.46, the lowest level of compensation for dining services employees in 2017—listed online as “1b.” That is a 22.6 percent increase from previous levels, and a 25.1 percent increase from 2016 levels. The Massachusetts minimum wage is currently $11 per hour.

Featured Image via Heights Archives