News, Featured Story, Administration

VP of Development McDermott Leaving BC for Harvard Business School

Beth McDermott–the fourth high-level administrator to leave Boston College in the last 12 months–will become the managing director of development at Harvard Business School. McDermott has held the title of vice president for development at BC since 2016, according to a University press release.

McDermott’s exit comes on the heels of the announced departures of Kelli Armstrong, the outgoing vice president for planning and assessment; Rev. James P. Burns, I.V.D., the former dean of the Woods College of Advancing Studies; and Barb Jones, the former vice president of student affairs. Armstrong is leaving to become the president of Salve Regina University, Burns left to become the president of De La Salle Christian Brothers Catholic liberal arts institution, and Jones retired from BC after working in student affairs for over 40 years.

BC promoted from within to replace Jones, elevating Joy Moore from vice president of alumni relations to lead the student affairs office on an interim basis, and Burns, who has been succeeded on an interim basis by David Goodman, a faculty member in the Woods College as well as its associate dean of academic affairs and advising. Moore’s old position has been filled, while Goodman’s has not.

Armstrong is staying on in her capacity until the end of the academic year, while McDermott wraps up her tenure at BC this week. Their successors have yet to be announced.

“My time at BC has been incredibly fulfilling, both professionally and personally,” McDermott said in the release. “Even as I’ve come to understand and appreciate Boston College’s academic and formational mission, I’ve been a beneficiary of it myself.”

McDermott has served two tenures in Chestnut Hill. She first left the University for a position at Middlebury College in 2005 after six years at BC before returning in 2010 to be director of development for the Carroll School of Management, according to the release. McDermott held a variety of positions at BC since then, including executive director of school development and organizational giving and associate vice president of capital giving.

McDermott was promoted again in 2016 to vice president of development, her final post at BC.

“During her tenure at BC, Beth has helped to guide the growth of philanthropic dollars in support of the University’s priorities as well as the professional development of our fundraising staff, evidenced by the many colleagues who have taken on roles with increased responsibility under her leadership,” James Husson, senior vice president for University Advancement, said in the release.

“Beth has a direct impact on every element of our organization and has demonstrated a deep commitment to the values that guide our work in University Advancement.”

McDermott oversaw all aspects of fundraising at BC—most notably, she was in charge of major gifts to the University, as well as organizational and school-affiliated fundraising, according to the release. She was a key part of the success of the Light the World capital campaign that wrapped up in 2016 after the University raised $1.6 billion.

Featured Image by Kaitlin Meeks / Heights Senior Staff