Sports, Hockey, Men's Hockey

Update: Hockey East Investigation Concludes With Inconclusive Ruling

On Wednesday afternoon, College Hockey News reported that the “Hockey East was investigating a potential racist incident that occurred during last weekend’s Providence-Boston College quarterfinal series.” Later that evening, the Hockey East announced there is not enough evidence to move forward with discipline and considered the matter resolved.

The initial report cited sources that identified Providence’s Vimal Sukumaran as the targeted party and that game officials had reported it after the game. The Hockey East conducted an investigation through interviews, as no game audio was available, but eventually wrapped it up on Wednesday night, unable to identify the player or players at fault.

“Following conference protocol, an investigation has been conducted,” the conference said in a statement. “While we are aware some inappropriate remarks were made between players on the ice, we were unable to determine the source of the remarks with the degree of certainty necessary to take further action at this time. The matter is considered closed.”

When asked for comment on the pending investigation on Wednesday, BC issued the following statement:

“There is much uncertainty regarding what may or may not have been said among players during the hockey game last Friday at Providence College,” it reads. “BC Athletic Director Martin Jarmond spoke with the BC hockey team and reiterated his and Coach York’s highest expectations regarding their professionalism. He also reached out directly to the Providence player involved in the alleged incident. Based on the facts available to all parties, we consider the matter to be resolved.”

The Eagles won the series, two games to one, and advanced to the Hockey East semifinals to take on the conference’s top overall seed Massachusetts. It was an unexpected upset, as BC dropped the series opener then blew an early lead in the second game before recovering to rattle off two quick victories. It was a chippy series, one that featured a combined 64 penalty minutes between the two in just three games.

The Eagles will now play at TD Garden, likely at full strength, against the Minutemen at 7:30 p.m. The winner will advance to play either Northeastern or Boston University on the following day.

This story was updated following the Hockey East statement ruling that the investigation into a BC player’s alleged racist remark was inconclusive.