Sports, Football, Top Story

Anthony Brown Ruled Out for Season With Lower Left Leg Injury

Boston College football quarterback Anthony Brown was ruled out for the season on Monday afternoon due to a lower leg injury, head coach Steve Addazio announced in his weekly presser. Brown will undergo surgery this week after suffering the injury in the second quarter of the Oct. 5 loss to Louisville.

“Anthony Brown is going to be out for the year with a lower leg injury,” Addazio said. “He worked so hard to get to where he is. He’s a tough guy and he’ll bounce back.”

Brown was enjoying a quick start to the day against the Cardinals, having completed six of his first seven passes for 193 yards and a touchdown. Then, in the latest chapter of an injury-plagued tenure on the Heights, Brown scrambled up the middle for a 14-yard run to the Louisville 7-yard line. He planted his leg strangely, though, and it gave out, marking both the end of his day and his season.

This is the second season-ending leg injury that Brown has suffered while with the Eagles, and the third setback that has cost him time. On Nov. 11, 2017, against North Carolina State, Brown tore his right ACL in an eventual 17-14 loss. It happened in an eerily similar way, as Brown was scrambling up the middle in the second quarter. He worked his way back in time for the 2018 season, but missed practically all of the biggest game of the year—against No. 2 Clemson on College GameDay—when he was hit hard by the Tigers’ Christian Wilkins on the Eagles’ first drive of the game.

Brown was off to an up-and-down start during the 2019 campaign but had been playing his best football as of late. The week prior, Brown completed 21-of-29 passes for 265 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions against Wake Forest. He ends his season having completed 81-of-137 passes (59.1 percent) for 1,250 yards and nine touchdowns to just two interceptions. 

A redshirt junior, Brown still has one more year of eligibility. In his absence, Dennis Grosel will take the starting reins for the Eagles with Matt Valecce as his backup. Grosel played almost three full quarters against the Cardinals and completed nine passes on 24 attempts for 111 yards, three touchdowns, and an interception.

Featured Image by Michael Dwyer / AP Photo