Sports, Spring, Softball

Weekend Recap: Eagles Come out With Sole Win Over Yellow Jackets

Despite having extra time to rest following the previous weekend’s hot-and-cold performance—Wednesday’s game against Georgia Southern had been canceled due to poor weather conditions—Boston College softball failed to come out on top in its first ACC test of the season. 

Georgia Tech 3, BC 1 (Sunday)

Despite their stellar performance against the Yellow Jackets the day prior, the Eagles were unable to pull out a second win, capping off the weekend with another loss. 

Unlike the first two games, it didn’t take until the fourth inning for either team to score. The Eagles had been limited to one runner on base in the first, but Georgia Tech jumped at the opportunity to take an early lead. Emma Kauf got on base off a double pitched by Susannah Anderson. After advancing to third base off a bunt from teammate Kennedy Cowden, Kauf secured the first run of the game when Tricia Awald singled to first base.

The Yellow Jackets collected two more runs in the third inning, with Awald and Crosby Huckabay running through home. It took BC until the fourth inning to secure its first tally as AJ Alatorre scored her first career home run.

For the second time this series, Anderson was pulled from the mound, this time to be replaced by CC Cook. But despite this change in pitching, neither team scored another run, ending the series with a 1-3 loss for the Eagles.

Georgia Tech 0, BC 6 (Saturday)

When the two teams met on Saturday, the Eagles came out with a new intensity. After the Yellow Jackets delivered BC its fourth scoreless loss of the season, it was determined to get one back. But despite this fire, Saturday’s matchup began just as slowly as the game prior.

Anderson returned to the mound to start her second-straight game, only allowing one batter on base in the first three innings. And yet, the Eagles received the same treatment, with none of their hitters making it past Georgia Tech pitcher Morgan Bruce.

When the fourth inning rolled around, however, the Eagles shifted into a new gear. Ellie Mataya quickly got on base for BC, making it to first off her hit then stealing second. Designated Player Emme Martinez soon followed Mataya, singling to center field before the Eagles sent in Britney Richardson to pinch run for Martinez.

And when it came time for the Yellow Jackets to retaliate, they came up empty handed. Rather, they continued to struggle getting on base, leaving the Eagles’ tallies unanswered, giving BC the opportunity to expand upon its lead without opposition. 

In the top of the sixth, one by one, the Eagles began to get on base. And sophomore Gianna Boccagno stepped up to bat and delivered the final blow. Boccagno homered to left field, adding a staggering four runs onto the Eagles’ score, tying the series at one 6-0 win apiece.

Georgia Tech 6, BC 0 (Friday)

The Eagles had extra time off heading into their first matchup against the Yellow Jackets after their game against Georgia Southern was canceled, but BC failed to capitalize on the opportunity. Going into the first matchup of the series, the two teams were fairly evenly matched. At that point, BC’s record had been 8-10, while Georgia Tech had gone 9-10 in its first weekends of play. The teams, however, hadn’t met since 2018, when BC had the upper hand, going 2-1 on the weekend series.

The Yellow Jackets’ fielders kept BC to only one on base in the first, assisting pitcher Blake Neleman in getting three outs on three Eagles batters. When it came time for BC to field in the bottom of the first, Anderson started on the mound for the Eagles. Aside from Emma Lauf, who walked to start the first, Anderson pitched three straight outs.

Play continued as such for the next two innings, neither team getting a single hitter on base until the Eagles broke through the barrier in the top of the fourth. With two outs already on the board, Emme Martinez hit a single off Neleman to grab the first base of the game. While she advanced to second off a wild pitch quickly after, Kristen Giery hit a pop up to second base, promptly ending any chance the Eagles had at taking a lead over the Yellow Jackets. 

As soon as Georgia Tech lined up to bat in the bottom of the fourth, it was all over for the Eagles. An error by shortstop Djhane Valido allowed Cameron Stanford to open the scoring for the Yellow Jackets. Two more runs soon followed, as Huckabay homered to right field, sending herself and Awald past home.

The Yellow Jackets scored three more unanswered runs in the fifth inning, securing the first win of the weekend series.

Featured Image by Jess Rivilis / Heights Editor