OIP Director Nick Gozik Accepts Position at Elon University

Nick Gozik, director of the Office of International Programs, is leaving Boston College after eight years to serve as the next dean of global education at Elon University in North Carolina, according to an Elon press release. Gozik, who will begin his new role in January of the coming year, said that BC will announce OIP’s new director shortly.

“I am honored and humbled to take on a position at a university that has already done so much around global programming,” Gozik wrote in an email to The Heights. “… Elon has done much to combine its global programming with a strong focus on student engagement and experiential learning, paving the way towards innovation in all three areas.”

During his time at BC, Gozik also served as the director of the McGillycuddy-Logue Center for Undergraduate Global Studies and a lecturer in the Lynch School of Education and Human Development. 

Gozik said that while he served as the director of OIP, the office has made significant advancements in diversity and inclusion efforts.

“This has involved increasing scholarship money and training for faculty and staff,” Gozik wrote. “We have increased the diversity of OIP staff, while integrating a diversity and inclusion approach into the development of all new programs and services.”

In addition to having organized two faculty seminars abroad, one in Turkey and the other in Latin America, Gozik said that the office increased experiential learning opportunities for students, with new locations in Paris, Madrid, Prague, Shanghai, and Singapore, which will all be virtual this coming spring due to COVID-19. 

Associate Vice President for University Communications Jack Dunn said that although the BC community is sad to see him go, BC is grateful for Gozik’s work over the past eight years.

“We are happy for Nick that his excellent work has led to his appointment as dean of global education at Elon College, though sad to see him go after eight years of dedicated service to Boston College,” Dunn said. “He is a consummate professional whose devotion to students and global engagement was recognized by all members of the BC community. We wish him the very best in his future endeavors.” 

Elon president Connie Ledoux Book said in the release that Gozik’s experience makes him an ideal candidate for dean of global education.

“He deeply understands the value of transformative international study experiences in students’ lives and will help us further integrate and expand global perspectives throughout Elon’s academic programs,” Book said. 

At Elon, Gozik will also serve as the senior international officer responsible for internationalization efforts on Elon’s campus, where he will oversee education abroad, on-campus curricular efforts, international students and scholars, and Study USA, a program that helps international students find educational opportunities in the United States, Gozik said. 

As Gozik comes to terms with the fact that he will be leaving BC, he reflects on the memorable time he has spent there.

“I absolutely love my current position and the University,” Gozik said. “It’s hard to imagine liking another place more. I have felt really welcomed by faculty, staff, and students. Much of this comes down to Boston College’s commitment to community building, on campus and beyond. I have also found great synergy between global programming and BC’s Jesuit values and history, particularly with a commitment to student reflection, engagement with local communities, and social justice issues.”

Featured Image by Leo Wang / Heights Staff