Sports, Basketball, Men's Basketball

Eagles Guard Rich Kelly Enters Transfer Portal

Reports have been circulating that Rich Kelly, Boston College men’s basketball guard, has entered his name in the transfer portal following a season-ending injury. Kelly joins fellow Eagle Wynston Tabbs in the portal. The news of Kelly’s departure comes just over a week after the news of head coach Jim Christian’s firing

Kelly suffered from plantar fasciitis, a foot injury, which would have kept him on the bench for the remainder of the season, according to a statement reported by All Facts Media on Twitter. 

“I’d like to thank Coach Jim Christian for the opportunity to become a BC Eagle, play in the ACC, and receive an MBA degree from the Carroll School of Management,” Kelly said in the statement. “It has been a rewarding experience on all levels, and I am excited for what comes next.”

Kelly was a one-year player for the Eagles after transferring to BC from Quinnipiac. He averaged 11 points per game in his one year at BC, including a team-high 27-point performance in BC’s lone conference win so far this season against Miami. Though he started the season as a key factor off the bench, because of injuries and COVID-19 protocols, Kelly’s role increased as the year wore on, eventually making him a consistent starter.

Because of the NCAA’s added year of eligibility for all players due to COVID-19, Kelly, a graduate student this year, is still eligible to play next season. He averaged 37 percent shooting from 3-point range and 42.7 percent shooting from the field. 

Featured Image Courtesy of BC Athletics