Five BC Grad Schools Rank in ‘U.S. News’ Top 50

Five of Boston College’s eight graduate schools ranked in the top 50 in the nation in the U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 graduate university rankings

The graduate rankings, released on Tuesday, follow BC’s most recent ranking as the seventh best school in the world for theology, divinity, and religious studies in the 2021 QS World University Rankings. 

The Connell School of Nursing ranked 48th this year, falling from No. 27 last year. 

“The Connell School of Nursing fell from its 2021 ranking of 27th to 48th, as industry shifts saw many nursing schools transition from master’s programs in nursing to doctor of nursing practice programs, which caused high volatility within this year’s rankings,” the U.S. News release reads. 

Despite the fall in rankings, the school still holds a strong reputation, according to the release.

“The Connell School, however, was highly assessed by health care professionals in a new contribution to the rankings, reflecting its continued strong reputation in the field,” the release reads. 

Dean of CSON Susan Gennaro was not immediately available for comment. 

The Carroll School of Management’s full-time MBA program ranked 44th, rising four spots from No. 48 last year. The program tied with five other schools, including Rutgers University and Purdue University. 

CSOM’s part-time MBA program rose to No. 35, and the finance program ranked 13th in specialty rankings. 

Andrew Boynton, the dean of CSOM, was not immediately available for comment.

BC Law School also improved in rankings, rising two spots from last year to No. 29 this year. It tied with Emory University and the University of Wisconsin-Madison, as well as three other schools. 

In the specialty rankings for BC Law, tax law rose to No. 14, and environmental law and clinical training ranked 24th. 

BC Law Dean Vincent Rougeau directed The Heights to his comment in BC Law Magazine, where he said he was pleased with the ranking. 

“Our rankings are consistent with our emphasis on those things that are at the core of our mission,” Rougeau said. 

The Lynch School of Education and Human Development ranked 21st—the highest in the country of any Jesuit or Catholic school of education, according to a University release

Five Lynch programs ranked in the top 20—student counseling and personnel services ranked 10th, curriculum and instruction ranked 15th, secondary education and elementary education both ranked 17th, and higher education ranked 18th.

Dean of Lynch Stanton Wortham wrote in an email to The Heights that he is pleased with the placement in light of the way the school has fluctuated in rankings.

“We are pleased that the Lynch School remains among the best schools of education and human development in the country,” Wortham wrote. “Given the peculiarities of the US News methodology, we have moved up and down a bit. In recent years it has been two slots up, then one or two back, in successive years, but the recent trend remains positive. We are well-positioned within a tightly bunched cluster of high quality schools.”

Wortham also said he was pleased with the high rankings of the programs within the school.

“We were particularly happy this year that seven of our programs were recognized in the top 25 within the specialty rankings, with a few programs being ranked for the first time and others moving up,” he wrote.

Featured Image by Nicole Vagra / For The Heights