Weekly Roundup, Sports

Weekly Sports Roundup: Week Of March 22

Fencing

After a promising start to the NCAA Championships, Boston College fencing was forced to withdraw from the tournament one day early due to COVID-19 protocols. Prior to the positive test, the Eagles registered four All-American honorees. In men’s sabre, Bolang Meng finished seventh and Spencer Kuldell finished eighth, good for Second Team All-American honors. In men’s foil, Bin Huang earned a seventh-place finish, and Daniel Gaidar finished in 12th place in epee.

On the women’s side of things, which was particularly affected by the COVID-19 withdrawal, Gillian Lawlor and Katarina Hone finished 19th and 23rd respectively in women’s foil. In women’s epee, Samantha Yeh finished in 16th, Laura Boden finished in 22nd, and Lucy Hanson finished in 24th. 

Track and Field 

Marcus Manson shined for the Eagles at the Raleigh Relays. The junior recorded a personal best of 53.92 in the 400-meter hurdles, good for ninth at the meet and eighth fastest in school history. Manson wasn’t the only Eagle to record a personal best, as Steven Jackson and John Carter also broke their personal records in the 1,500-meter run. Avery McKenzie recorded the highest finish for the Eagles, placing fifth in the triple jump with a 15.20-meter mark. Michael Oduro’s 14.27-meter jump put him just behind McKenzie in 10th in the same event. 

Isabella Bruno posted the highest podium finish for the Eagles with an eighth place-worthy triple jump mark of 11.58 meters. Her jump was the third-best all-time mark in BC history. Marne Sullivan put up a season-best time of 2:10.90 in the 800 meter. In typical Lauren White fashion, the senior recorded the ninth-fastest 1,500-meter time in program history with a 4:22.75 mark. 

Women’s Soccer

BC women’s soccer (2-9) shut out its first opponent of the year with a 3-0 blanking of Albany (3-4). Sam Smith registered two second-half goals, but Laura Gouvin started the game off with a tally just two minutes in. Gouvin’s goal came after Samantha Agresti won a 50-50 ball at midfield before slotting it to Gouvin, who blasted it from 30 yards out. Allie Augur put up four saves in net to earn a clean sheet. 

Men’s Soccer

No. 1 Clemson (12-2-1, 7-2-1 Atlantic Coast) paid a visit to Newton to take on BC men’s soccer (1-3, 1-3), and the Eagles put up a fight on their home turf. The Eagles battled to a 3-2 result, ultimately falling to Clemson on a goal in the 80th minute. Kristofer Konradsson, the Eagles’ leading scorer this season, registered the first goal for the Eagles from the penalty spot. Clemson equalized five minutes later on a penalty shot from James Brighton, and the teams went to the locker room at halftime tied at 1-1. Stefan Sigurdarson retook the lead for the Eagles in the 51st minute, but Clemson finished the game with two unanswered goals to earn a hard-fought victory. Goaltender Christian Garner recorded five saves on eight shots on his goal.

Volleyball

It’s taken a while for BC volleyball to record a conference win—in fact, the Eagles went through the entire fall season and the first two months of the spring without an ACC win. But once the Eagles (3-12, 2-12 Atlantic Coast) earned their first, they made quick work of earning their second. First, BC recorded a 3-1 win over Miami (9-6, 8-6), followed by a straight-set win over Virginia Tech (6-9, 5-9). 

In the latter game, BC scraped out a first-set victory 25-23, followed by two slightly more comfortable margins of victory: 25-20 and 25-17 in the second and third frames, respectively. Senior outside hitter Clare Naughton finished off the first set with a kill. In the second, BC came back from down 9-6 and controlled the latter half of the game with a 9-4 run to finish it off. Naughton led the Eagles with 12 kills and 13 digs, followed by Gabby McCaa, who had seven kills and three blocks. 

Against Miami, the Eagles came back from being down 12-7 in the first set to win it 25-21. The next three sets passed with scores of 25-23, 11-25, and 25-22. The third set was a bit of an anomaly as the Eagles’ only set loss of the weekend. Freshman Katrina Jensen recorded a season-high 13 kills, and Naughton added seven kills and 18 digs. McCaa posted 10 kills and seven blocks.

Sailing

BC sailing took a trip down to New London, Conn. to take on Connecticut College in the Thames River Team Race. BC swept the competition with first, second, and third-place finishes out of six total teams. The Eagles’ first team of skippers—Robert Hunter, Colleen O’Brien, and Jack DeNatale—and crew—Nicole Moeder, Laura Ferraris, and Elizabeth Russell—went undefeated in two round robins. 

Men’s Tennis

Volleyball wasn’t the only team to earn a season first this weekend, as men’s tennis recorded its first wins of the season. The Eagles (2-6) took down non-conference opponents Merrimack and Siena in rapid succession. 

The Eagles swept Siena 7-0, and four of BC’s six singles courts won in straight sets. BC also won the doubles point with wins from Max Motlagh and Sean Mullins at first doubles and Shreekar Eedara and Mason Fung at second doubles. Mullins and Santiago Montufar both won their singles courts in third-set superbreakers. 

BC dropped just one singles court against Merrimack, beating the Warriors 6-1. Max Mendelsohn, Eedara, and Will Kasten all won in straight sets for the Eagles. The doubles teams of Motlagh and Mullins plus Montufar and Mendelsohn won their courts to earn the doubles point.

Featured Graphic by Emma Healy / Heights Editor