News, On Campus, Top Story, Coronavirus Updates

Commencement Policy Updated to Allow Two Guests

Boston College will allow two guests per undergraduate at the Class of 2021 Commencement and school diploma ceremonies on May 24, as well as at the Baccalaureate Mass the day before.

The City of Boston approved BC’s revised Commencement plan—which was an update from the previously announced no-guest policy—on Wednesday evening, according to a University email to the BC community on May 6.

Graduate students will each be permitted one guest at the Baccalaureate Mass and school-specific ceremonies on May 23, as well as at the main Commencement ceremony the following day. BC Law School will hold its graduation ceremony on May 28, the email said.

“The University submitted its plan to the City of Boston after Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker announced last week that the Commonwealth would expand attendance at outdoor venues to 25 percent of capacity beginning on May 10,” the email read. “The plan was approved last evening by the Boston Public Health Commission and the Boston Licensing Board.”

The email also announced that BC’s Senior Week Committee would be sending out information in the coming days regarding Senior Week activities—such as “Back to the Beginning BBQs” on Upper and Newton campuses, Mod Relays, and “Dinner Through the Decades”—as well as a second BC After Dark location featuring multiple trivia nights.

Guests at the ceremonies will be required to register and complete a health check in with the BC Check App, which they will receive upon registering for the ceremonies, according to the email. Graduates will also be required to re-register for Commencement in light of the updated plan.

The main Commencement ceremony and school-specific ceremonies will still be live-streamed despite the updated guest policy, the email said.

“Congratulations to all members of the Class of 2021,” the email, which was signed by Vice President and University Secretary Rev. Casey Beaumier, S.J., and Associate Vice President for Alumni Relations Leah DeCosta Spencer, read. “We look forward to celebrating your accomplishments at Boston College’s 144th Commencement Exercises.”  

Featured Graphic by Olivia Charbonneau / Heights Editor