Opinions, TU/TD

Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down: Week Of Nov. 8

Thumbs Up

• Taking time for yourself:
    • Boston College tends to attract type-A students, and this mentality seeps into the rest of the school’s culture. While this is one of the reasons BC is such a great school, it also means that there’s always something happening and there’s a pressure to be constantly in motion. As the calendar draws closer to the holidays, remember that it’s okay to give yourself little breaks, even when they aren’t in your planner. There will always be excuses to overwork yourself or over-socialize out of FOMO, but burnout will ruin your chances to do either if you don’t give yourself a break. 
  • Post-exam high:
    • Runner’s high is a real thing and the rush is almost unparalleled. The runner-up: walking out of an exam. Even if the test was full of content only half-covered in class, and it might hit Canvas with a gnarly uppercut, there’s nothing like putting the pencil down. Being able to let go and walk out of class knowing that you get to close all those tabs in your browser is like a victory lap.

Thumbs Down

• The second wave: 
    • It’s comeback season, baby! What was supposed to be a one-time epidemic of bronchitis, strep, and the sniffles combined is making second advances. The BC plague might have withdrawn into its cave after two or three weeks of ravaging campus, but dormant is not dead. Slowly, the sound of coughs is starting to rise again throughout lecture halls from a choir of exhausted students. 
  • Sunlight:
    • There is none! The sun rises around 6:30 a.m. and sets around 4:30 p.m. and leaves a small window of time to attempt to absorb vitamin D like a sponge. Not only does the limited sunlight politely hold the door open for seasonal depression, but it’s also a punch in the gut for anyone who likes to go on morning runs or spend time outdoors before classes. And, if you like to sleep in instead, waking up feels like a hoax without the sun creeping through the windows to signal the start of the day.